WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters
Posted by: Brian ()
Date: November 24, 2005 06:34PM

Hi guys,
there is one thing that puzzles me about the account by Von Forstner as related above: according to my data there were only 5 killed in the sinking of Iberian. How could this beast have been propelled out of the water and not been seen or reported by the survivors who were directly (or almost directly) under it?

I fully agree that in the account of the surrender of UB-85 there is nothing about a sea monster, just the damage from gunfire which prevented the boat from diving and the fact that she had spent the majority of the previous 2 days underwater, evading surface craft hunting for her.

Grider's account: I have the book War Fish but have not yet had the time to read it. Considering the tricks water can play and the magnification at which the 'scope may have been set, it probably was a fish badly distorted by reflection and or refraction.

I have to think that after say, 60+ million years, surviving elasmosaurs and plesiosaurs would have developed some form of gill system to allow them to remain underwater without having to surface. Whales, being mammals, necessitate the oxygen to feed the calves, so their evolution was along different lines than that a saurian could have taken.

I'll have to discuss the matter with a couple of science teachers on monday, when school is back in session, and see what their opinions are.
Regards, Brian

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Subs & Sea Monsters Rob Romero 11/24/2005 07:40AM
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters parmstrong 11/24/2005 05:55PM
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters Brian 11/24/2005 06:34PM
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters Rob Romero 11/25/2005 12:15AM
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters parmstrong 11/26/2005 04:27PM
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters Vince 12/06/2005 02:30AM
Re: Subs & Sea Monsters Michael Lowrey 12/05/2005 01:54AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.