WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats
Posted by: gregory ()
Date: January 11, 2010 02:03AM

Hello!

I searched site and forum and couldn't find the info ...

the O.35 "Alfred-Edith",
a belgian fishing steam trawler from Ostend - located in the port of Swansea during WWI.

the skipper was my greatgreatgrandfather Richard Brouckxon,

the shipowner was Alfred Golder, who had 4 fishing boats @ Swansea during WWI

according to 2 different belgian newspapers

1/ The (armed) Alfred-Edith sank a u-boat in St. Georges Channel on april 27th 1918, by gun fire - report states that the u-boat disappeared under water without retracting it's guns, smoke was seen and lots of oil floating around.

Is it technically possible for a WWI u-boat to 'dive' without retracting it's guns? Or would this equal flooding and sinking the boat?

2/ another report mentions the "Alfred-Edith" capturing another u-boat (that same day), also in St Georges Channel. The ballast tanks were destroyed, thus immobilising the u-boat.
The u-boat was handed over to an english destroyer (possibly the "Snowdrop" ) and later displayed in English ports for an entrance fee (meant to raise funds) - is this enough info to identify this sub?

3/ at least 1 locally published book literally mentions 2 submarines but without mentioning sources for the information.

Skipper Richard Brouckxon was awarded a DSC medal (Distinguished Service Cross) for 'service in action against ennemy submarine(s)', as mentioned in the "Second Supplement to The London Gazette of friday the 13th september 1918"(Gazette n°30900, page number 10847).

The London Gazette mentions: Skpr. Richard Brouckxon, R.N.R., 408 W.F.S

RNR means the fishing crew was enlisted in the Royal Naval Reserve, but

what would "408 W.F.S." mean?

What kind of gun would this fishing boat have had on board?

I' d be exceedingly happy to find the names of, and any info about, the submarine(s) involved.
(i assume both accounts could be about one and the same U-boat, which first 'pretended' to be sunk?)

i would welcome any other info (or ideas or hints about locating info) about these events, the Alfred-Edith, the situation my greatgreatgrandfather was in during WWI.

Thanks,

Gregory

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats gregory 01/11/2010 02:03AM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats Yves D 01/11/2010 10:19AM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats ph0ebus 01/12/2010 03:39AM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats Freddy 01/13/2010 04:24PM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats gregory 01/14/2010 02:52AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.