WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats
Posted by: gregory ()
Date: January 14, 2010 02:52AM

Hello everybody,

thanks for replying!

Yves: thanks for the clarifications! (for clarity's sake: the article i mentioned does not claim a "sunken u-boat", it lists certain facts which suggest that such an event could haven taken place (the smoke and lots of oil and the other details)

Apparently the deck gun(s) and ammunition would have needed to be secured before a submarine could dive?
(source: interesting article @ [www.uboataces.com] ).

quote: "deck gun engagements made the U-boat very vulnerable; since the gun and ammunition had to be secured and the crew had to get below deck, all of which meant that it took much longer than usual to submerge."

Would it have been dangerous to dive without securing the guns first?

see also:
[www.uboataces.com]

The source i used was written in old and archaic dutch and could be translated in such a way as to mean "securing the guns". (i'm new to this and naively assumed guns were collapsible/retractable - as i thought wet guns would not work?)

How easy would it have been for a u-boat to simulate sinking (by dumping oil through the torpedo hatches, and similar techniques?)

Is it possible to search the Uboat.net site for captured or disappeared u-boats - is there an exhaustive list of captured u-boats (i imagine the germans would tend to 'hide' such information?)

My congratulations for the incredible amount of info available here - where was this information collected and by whom?
is there a page explaining this?

Freddy: The info i got is not from the source you mention - they are from old local newspapers - which were extremely hard to find.

The second article is an interview with R. Brouckxon himself about the event of capturing a u-boat - IMO one could be easilier mistaken about sinking a u-boat than about capturing one and handing it over to an english destroyer winking smiley

Where and how could i find the “Belgian Rijksarchief Brugge – Hoofdwaterschoutambt” info? Does this source indeed contain testimonies from the Alfred-Edith crew. I'm very curious about this source - thanks!!!

(thanks for the crew list info also - the same list was in "De Plate Maandblad" (december 1998), probably taken from your source, the Rijksarchief ?).

The whole DSC medal story is definitely true (see the London Gazette issue i mentioned - google "London Gazette" and do a search on that site for "brouckxon" ).
And i do have the pictures of Richard Brouckxon with the medal to prove that it's not a typo winking smiley

Daniel: thanks, i'm looking into this, and will order the article as soon as i get a quote from the archives! :)
i'll let you know what the article says!

greetings,
Gregory

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats gregory 01/11/2010 02:03AM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats Yves D 01/11/2010 10:19AM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats ph0ebus 01/12/2010 03:39AM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats Freddy 01/13/2010 04:24PM
Re: april 27th 1918 - 2 u-boats gregory 01/14/2010 02:52AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.