General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: \\\\\\\"A Sad Episode in Berlin\\\\\\\&qu
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: December 15, 2000 05:49PM

<HTML>Hi all -

I hope I am not treading on any toes when I say that I think kpp has a point about the unconditional surrender and partition/re-education of Germany after the war. Speaking as a UK citizen, I remember a few years ago (mid-80s) speaking to an elderly German in the South of Germany about the Second War. To my surprise he still spoke very bitterly about it - (I forget exactly what we were were talking about) - and I commented naively `Oh, I`d never thought of it like that....` or something. He snapped back at me - `You wouldn`t; you won the war` - which gave me food for thought at the time and since. There must be many like him in Germany who would still prefer not to be reminded of the defeats of the past; the wonder to me is that there are so many who were involved with the U-bootwaffe and who are *still* prepared to look backward *as well as* forward.

I did point out to my German acquaintance that I was far too young to have had anything to do with the war; his answer was that this was irrelevant. I think he was right; it is important for those of us who belong now to what was then the `winning side` bear in mind that we are still today in a different position psychologically from those who lost.

Best wishes

Frank

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
\&quot;A Sad Episode in Berlin\&quot; MPC 12/14/2000 10:00PM
RE: Sorry it wasnt completed MPC 12/14/2000 10:07PM
Outrageous behavior. SuperKraut 12/15/2000 07:08AM
RE: Outrageous behavior. Torlef 12/15/2000 08:09AM
RE: Outrageous behavior. Takeo 12/15/2000 10:37AM
RE: Outrageous behavior. Pappy 12/18/2000 10:04AM
RE: \\\&quot;A Sad Episode in Berlin\\\&quot; Rainer Bruns 12/15/2000 04:38PM
RE: \\\&quot;A Sad Episode in Berlin\\\&quot; kpp 12/15/2000 04:52PM
RE: \\\\\\\&quot;A Sad Episode in Berlin\\\\\\\&qu Frank 12/15/2000 05:49PM
Reeducation SuperKraut 12/15/2000 08:39PM
Fatherlands Dietzsch 12/18/2000 02:21PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.