General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Japans constitution
Posted by: kurt ()
Date: October 25, 2001 12:20PM

<HTML>I remember seeing on TV German troops in peacekeeping missions in the Balkans firing back after being fired upon. I remember thinking "I bet that is the first time they have fired in anger since WWII".

Such was the case.

My understanding is that while Germany can legally deploy troops for outside conflicts, domestic and international politics have made that difficult.

Did German combat or support troops participate in Desert Storm?

The Japanese consitution, written by American occupation authorities that (mistakenly) viewed Japan as culturally and ethnically unreformably warlike, forbids war in any context, or the possesion of armed forces, or arms, of any kind. The Japanese were basically forced to sign this constitution at gunpoint. The constitution does not bar the deployment of troops outside of Japan. It bans troops, period.

But the constitution, like the US constitution it is modelled on, has a lot of good parts as well as a few anachronisms, and adds political stability by being very hard to change.

As both the Japanese and the Americans realized that the constitution was written too strictly, they have 'reinterpreted' it to mean 'well, an army for pure self defense of only the home country is not really and army, so that is ok.' This 'interpretation' is very strained, legally indefensible, but politically safe, and has slowly evolved. Legally, Japan does not have armed forces, they have 'self defense forces'. The difference is somewhat hard to detect at times, but is politically very important. There is a long list of slowly evolving things they can't have because it is not purely for self defense, from aircraft carriers to aerial tankers to GPS recievers on their fighters (no militay use of space).

Obviously, as an independent soveriegn nation, Japan could at any time reform its internal constitution to allow war, but has chosen not to.

The reasons for this are complex, but I would sum them up as:

1) Unlike the Germans, the Japanese have done a terrible job of resolving their wartime behaviour. This lack of repentance has led to a deep distrust, and continuuing hatred, by their neighbors, that inhibits any military role by Japan outside of Japan.

2) The Japanese public deeply distrusts the political dangers posed by the military - and militarism, and feels intensely uncomfortable with a powerfull military. The public blames the military, not fanatic politicians, for the devastation of WWII. Japanese military personel that I worked with had to change from uniforms to civies in public because they would be spat on if they wore their uniforms publicly. The military has rock bottom prestige as a career, and as an institution.

3) The Japanese public learned from the war and the occupation that fighting wars is awful, but losing them ain't so bad. "Nothing, no cause, is worth fighting for. War is worse than anything else, including surrender" is something I heard many times from older war era Japanese when I lived in Japan.

4) The lack of a substantial military role by the Japanese has worked to their diplomatic and economic advantage. A lack of any military posture avoids pissing anyone off. Japan maintains cordial ties with both sides in the middle east, and many other areas of conflicts.

I have no doubt that as the war generation fades into history that Japan will slowly resolve their past and take their place among major powers as a 'normal nation'. The war ban in the constitution will be removed or ignored. The younger generation has a much more open attitude and will bring a different, fresher, and more mature view to their past, and their future.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Bundeswer Yuri IL'IN 10/24/2001 07:58PM
Re: Bundeswer Joe Brennan 10/25/2001 07:57AM
Re: Bundeswer Yuri IL'IN 10/25/2001 08:19AM
Re: Bundeswer oliver 10/28/2001 06:34PM
Re: NATO Valeria 10/25/2001 10:36PM
Re: for Valeria Joe Brennan 10/26/2001 11:36AM
Re: Imigrate ??? Brian Corijn 10/26/2001 08:43PM
Re: Imigrate ??? Valeria 10/26/2001 09:54PM
Re: Imigrate ??? Joe Brennan 10/27/2001 08:52AM
Re: Imigrate ??? Tono 10/27/2001 02:29PM
Re:Your comments? Joe Brennan 10/28/2001 09:06AM
Re:Your comments? Tono 10/28/2001 02:04PM
Re:Your comments? Joe Brennan 10/29/2001 07:51AM
Re: Imigrate ??? Brian Corijn 10/27/2001 06:13PM
Re: Incorrect.! Joe Brennan 10/28/2001 09:16AM
Re: eh Joe ...... Brian Corijn 10/28/2001 10:04AM
Can't leave you people alone for a minute winking smiley Dietzsch 10/28/2001 05:18PM
Re: eh Joe ...... Siri 10/28/2001 05:28PM
Re: eh Joe ...... Torlef 10/30/2001 05:35AM
NATO SuperKraut 10/25/2001 11:02AM
Japans constitution kurt 10/25/2001 12:20PM
Re: Japans constitution Rainer Bruns 10/25/2001 01:16PM
Re: NATO Yuri IL\'IN 10/25/2001 07:18PM
Re: NATO Yuri IL'IN 10/28/2001 01:14PM
Comment SuperKraut 10/29/2001 01:31PM
Re: Japans constitution walter M 10/25/2001 02:34PM
Re: Bundeswehr Torlef 10/25/2001 11:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.