General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive)
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: December 21, 2000 11:25AM

<HTML>Hi Gummi -

And thanks for the response. I take your point, that a) it would need the co-operation of the Archiv, and b) to launch a fully operational and programmed site for the Archiv would be hugely expensive.

However, something along the line of a link might be feasible and straightforward; would it not be possible initially with an `Archiv link` to start small by making available more details of what is *in* the Archiv ? Speaking as one who has never been there, but is hoping to in the near future, it would be extremely helpful to know in a bit more detail what is in it !! Neither the Archiv`s own flyer nor any site that I have found (including one which offers a rather sketchy `Führung durchs Archiv`) is very informative. I for one had no idea that it was possible to discover a complete crew list for any patrol. I`m not for a moment suggesting (heaven forbid !!) that full details of all of those particular lists need be included on the net: but a list of what is and isn`t available at the Archiv (in at least a bit of detail) would be extremely helpful, and enable a visit to be much more fruitful. I would be very surprised if the Archiv were to object to such information being made more widely available, since I would imagine it would cut down time-wasting at their end during an actual visit. Such information would also save duplication of effort on your part by re-directing enquiries on some matters to the Archiv; one would not mind waiting weeks for a reply from them if one knew the information was available there !

cheers

frank

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
To: Gudmundur Jim Phillips Shipwreck Researcher, Wa 12/19/2000 07:10AM
RE: To: Gudmundur Frank 12/19/2000 07:49PM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Gudmundur Helgason 12/21/2000 10:29AM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) kpp 12/21/2000 10:59AM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Frank 12/21/2000 11:25AM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Gudmundur Helgason 12/21/2000 11:36AM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Frank 12/21/2000 04:50PM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Gudmundur Helgason 12/22/2000 09:42AM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Frank 12/22/2000 11:13AM
RE: To: Gudmundur (Archive) Fin Bonset 12/21/2000 12:56PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.