General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Mutiny aboard a U-boat
Posted by: Dave ()
Date: October 10, 2004 04:24PM

I have just finished reading an extremely well written, and fascinating book by Robert Kurson called 'Shadow Divers'. About the finding and identification of a WWII U-boat off the New Jersey shore in the early 90's. That said, I believe he is in error on page 235 when he states, in part, "The allies had predicted mutinies aboard these doomed U-boats. That never happened. The Allies had expect surrender from these doomed U-boats. That never happened either".
While his point is well taken, I am certain I have read (a long time ago) about a U-boat with an unpopular captain and an ill trained crew where the crew mutinied and surrendered to a British Sunderland. I also seem to remember how the captain actually escaped from British captivity after experiencing a kind of Kangaroo Court by his fellow officers, with the idea of finding his U-boat and scuttling it. He was killed in the attempt.
I have spent a good amount of time trying to find some info about this episode on the Internet but have not been successful. Is anyone familiar with this story?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Mutiny aboard a U-boat Dave 10/10/2004 04:24PM
The U-boot in question... MPC 10/10/2004 09:07PM
Re: Mutiny aboard a U-boat Desiree Addinsall 07/17/2020 09:53AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.