General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-505 Strange lights
Posted by: David Anderson ()
Date: March 13, 2005 04:32AM

My grandfather and namesake David Anderson was the captain of the S.S. Benmohr, the first ship to be sunk by the U-505 in March 1942.

As part of my research into the incident, I have tracked down a report dated 26th March 1942, which is based on an interview with my grandfather. In it, he comes to the erroneous conclusion that the Benmohr was attacked by three submarines based on various sightings of some orange lights. (The belief that U-boats always hunted in packs must have been widespread at that time). I have also managed to trace a survivor from the Benmohr, and he confirms that he saw two orange lights. He estimates that they were about a mile away - though clearly it was dark at the time.

The extract from my granfather's report reads:

"After the first torpedo struck the ship I saw 2 bright lights some little distance away, one on each quarter. These lights remained steady and were of an orange colour. The Second Mate informed me that from his boat he saw these 2 lights and also saw a submarine close to him on his starboard beam. I gathered from this that there must have been at least 3 submarines in the vicinity."

Can anyone explain what these lights were and why the crew of the Benmohr were lead to believe that three submarines in the area? Could the lights have come from small boats launched from the submarine? At the time, the sea was reported as being "smooth with wind N.E. force 1-2".

The lights could not have come from the life jackets of survivors. The same report says:

"We left England in March 1941 but we had not been issued with red lights for our life jackets."

Any comments welcome!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-505 Strange lights David Anderson 03/13/2005 04:32AM
Re: U-505 Strange lights Eric 03/14/2005 02:42PM
Re: U-505 Strange lights Fregatte 03/15/2005 07:10AM
Re: U-505 Strange lights ROBERT M. 04/04/2005 07:22AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.