General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary
Posted by: Joe ()
Date: October 24, 2005 10:49AM

Between February and September 1956 I served as Chief Officers Writer on the R.M.S.Queen Mary. One evening, whilst reading the Memoirs of a German U-Boat Captain I found the statement that he had come upon the Queen Mary stopped in the water and well off the normal shipping lane.
He stated he could see troops lining the rails, he was not
an ardent Nazi, no else on his boad was aware of what he was looking at (the Queen Mary's engines were stopped), he still had two torpedoes, but he decided not to let anyone know and continued his voyage. He recorded the date, time and position in his personal diary. I realized I could
check his story, so I went to the chartroom and pulled the log-book for that date and found the following entry
"stopped for repairs" and a position which tallied closely with that given by the U-Boat Captain!! This was a man who could have earned a Knights Cross at least but he choose
not to. Some years ago I contacted the German Embassy and the U-Boat museum in Germany but without success. If anyone knows the title of this book and it's ISBN number I would be grateful.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Joe 10/24/2005 10:49AM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Barry Scully 10/24/2005 03:37PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Webmaster@U-35.com 10/24/2005 07:31PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Barry Scully 10/24/2005 10:04PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Webmaster@U-35.com 10/24/2005 11:31PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Barry Scully 10/25/2005 12:34PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Denis Martin FTU 10/25/2005 04:40PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Barry Scully 10/25/2005 07:05PM
Re: The U-Boat that could have sunk the Queen Mary Denis Martin FTU 10/25/2005 04:27PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.