General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE:Yuri!
Posted by: John Griffiths ()
Date: March 12, 2001 05:57PM

<HTML>Yuri,

I read your post with great interest.

What can I offer but to say that I served in the Royal Navy in both peace and in the Falklands War. The Navy exercises regularly and does so with a great deal of safety uppermost when executing exercises. However, accidents do happen. Live ammunition is carried aboard every ship - and still accidents happen.

There are numerous examples of ships firing missiles during exercised - and those missiles were armed. A US warship fired on a Turkish ship during an exercise and nearly sank her - this in a Navy that is expert at what it does.

On exercises, conditions are as near to combat as you can get. It takes but one moment of distraction or negilgence to do something which has disastrous results.

If the Kursk was sunk by Peter the Great, then a mistake has been made. The missile would be \'inactive\' until it was fired - when it would arm itself. It is called \'going hot\'. Once the missile\'s system locked on to the target - a radio transmission, some telemetry signal, radar - whatever...it cannot be stopped quickly. Given the speed of modern missiles, you have to see the human brain does not have the same speed of reaction. From ignition to arming is measured in micro-seconds.

From aquiring the target to lock, micro-seconds.

From strike to destroy....

What a lot of people fail to realise is that missiles have the capability to arm themselves once they are either in flight or have locked on. If this facility was overlooked....

I am saying that accidents do happen. It is unlikely we will ever be told the truth about the Kursk and all we can do is speculate. Even if you knew the truth, who would believe you? You would be discredited by those with a vested interest in keeping quiet. It will always be sub rosa. That, as they say in the West, is a given.

I trust this puts across my own point of view.

Yours aye,

John
</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
\&quot;New Theories on the KURSK Disaster\&quot; Capt. George W. Duffy 03/10/2001 11:06PM
RE: \\\&quot;New Theories on the KURSK Disaster\\\ Werner Frank 03/11/2001 01:15AM
RE: \\\&quot;New Theories on the KURSK Disaster\\\ John Griffiths 03/11/2001 10:35AM
RE: Yuri IL\'IN 03/11/2001 05:41PM
Two months prior to tragedy Yuri IL\'IN 03/11/2001 06:43PM
RE:Yuri! John Griffiths 03/11/2001 06:45PM
RE:Yuri! Yuri IL\'IN 03/12/2001 12:48AM
RE:Yuri! John Griffiths 03/12/2001 05:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.