General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-534 Still a very sad ending
Posted by: Atlantik-Pirat! ()
Date: December 11, 2007 11:00PM

Hi Guys!

As you can see on my site [www.atlantik-pirat.com] the plans are now underway to move the U-534 to her new location.

Unfortunately the petition that I started came a little too late, as plans were already set in concrete as to what was going to happen. I wrote a little about this on the U-534 page.

Yes she is to be cut into four which is a real shame, but on a lighter note she still does have some future and people will still be able to visit her and view her artifacts for many years to come.

If in ten, fifteen years down the line she is looking for a new home again. At least she will be easier to move by both and land and sea. The way that she is being cut is so precise, she could also be rejoined with an overall loss of only 10cms!

She has been sat at Birkenhead for 11 years and being exposed to all the elements have taken their toll. Some of the outer hull is now as thin as paper! Merseytravel are at least going to be working hard to preserve her ever deteriorating hull. She is to be treated with an anti-corrosion coating and repainted to her original colours. The glass screens will create a weather tight seal to prevent any exposure to interior. There are also plans to redeck the boat too!

I was given the chance to visit the U-534 a couple of weeks ago. I was able to go onboard and have a good look around. It was much better than the original tour!

I couldn't believe my luck when I looked in the Kpt Lt's locker (in his cabin) and found his sidearm (Mauser) holster and leather belt! It was in pretty good condition considering and on closer inspection outside of the boat, I discovered an original 7.62mm bullet inside! This beauty will be in the new museum in the future.

I do wish that she could have been preserved as a whole boat, but it just wasn't possible as no one had the money, space etc and of course she had run out of time. I love the U-534 and am glad she will not be lost forever. This certainly isn't the end of the U-534!

Cheers

Max
[www.atlantik-pirat.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-534 RLoret 12/10/2007 09:26PM
Re: U-534 The work has started! Terry Andrews 12/11/2007 05:10PM
Re: U-534 Still a very sad ending MPC 12/11/2007 07:28PM
Re: U-534 Still a very sad ending Terry Andrews 12/11/2007 10:45PM
Re: U-534 Still a very sad ending Atlantik-Pirat! 12/11/2007 11:00PM
Re: U-534 Still a very sad ending Terry Andrews 12/11/2007 11:14PM
Re: U-534 Still a very sad ending Atlantik-Pirat! 12/11/2007 11:26PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.