General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: U-boats in the bay of Mochima, venezuela
Posted by: Jay Mendoza ()
Date: December 30, 2022 03:41AM

I can tell you this about sunken U-Boats off the Venezuelan coast: In 1967, I was living in Caracas and had an accident climbing a chain link fence when I slipped and tore open my arm. It required 22 stitches to mend the wound. My father took me to the Clinica Carimari, where he accompanied me into the operating room as I was scared. He spoke Spanish with the doctor, who was fluent but had a sort of American accent. So my dad asked him in Spanish if he spoke English, and the doctor replied : "Nein spekenzie anglese!" My father spoke some German and they conversed. On the way home he told me the doctor was actually Erwin Rommels chief field surgeon in the Afrika Korps, and when the Nazis lost North Africa, Rommel had arranged for him and some of other top leaders he left behind in North Africa to escape to South America. He said they had arrived via a U-Boat and surfaced about a mile off the Venezuelan coast and made their way to the shore after setting the detonators of the scuttling charges on the u-boat. He then found his way to Caracas, a city big enough for him to blens into with lots of Germans, and found work at the Carimari clinic. I have the scar on my arm as a memento from this excellent Nazi surgeon. So, according to Herr Doktor there is at least one, if not more, scuttled German Kriegsmarine U-Boat off the coast of Venezuela.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-boats in the bay of Mochima, venezuela nihle 11/01/2009 09:44AM
Re: U-boats in the bay of Mochima, venezuela luismedina 10/31/2011 03:51AM
Re: U-boats in the bay of Mochima, venezuela LUIS LONGART 08/03/2012 10:37PM
Re: U-boats in the bay of Mochima, venezuela R Banfield 08/15/2012 06:03AM
Re: U-boats in the bay of Mochima, venezuela Jay Mendoza 12/30/2022 03:41AM

Your Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.