General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
U-505 sinks the Benmohr: 80 years ago today
Posted by: David Anderson ()
Date: March 05, 2022 02:58PM

My grandfather (and namesake) David Boag Anderson was the captain of the SS Benmohr when it was torpedoed and sunk off the coast of Africa on the 5th of March, 1942. I had always known my grandfather's side of the story through my father, but it was revelation when in 2004 Google led me to identify the U-boat concerned and to these forums - [uboat.net]

I followed up with a visit to the historian of the Ben Line company at the time, a Captain A M Watters who started out as a deck boy with my grandfather. He accessed the archives and allowed to see my grandfather's account of the incident, written in his own hand. He kindly allowed me to take a photocopy of the document. The account has some discrepancies from the U-505 logs, though trying to remember the exact details of such a traumatic event would be difficult - I don't make any claim that this is the "true" version of events. I noted that he thought the attack was by a submarine pack rather than a lone submarine here: [uboat.net]

To commemorate this event, the full transcript of his account (the original was written in his own hand) is posted below. If anyone would like a scan of the photocopy of the original, please feel free to message me.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-505 sinks the Benmohr: 80 years ago today David Anderson 03/05/2022 02:58PM
Re: U-505 sinks the Benmohr: 80 years ago today David Anderson 03/05/2022 03:00PM
Re: U-505 sinks the Benmohr: 80 years ago today David Anderson 03/05/2022 03:03PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.