General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: \\\"Gabler boats\\\"
Posted by: Frank ()
Date: August 29, 2001 07:31PM

<HTML>Hi MPC -

I came across him (sadly, by name only !) when researching Teddy Suhren`s U-564, on which he was Suhren`s LI - and clearly an outstanding one. Suhren says in `Nasses Eichenlaub` that Gabler had been due to go ashore before Suhren`s last patrol, but Suhren refused point-blank to set off without him ! Suhren also mentions that he went on to head a group of european sub-designers after the war. I found a picture of him on the web taken not long before his death (which was quite recent - early or mid `90s, if my memory serves me right.) Still very much recognizable as the same guy ! Try a search; I haven`t got the address of the website**. I also got hold of a copy of his book, (`Unterseebootbau`, by Ulrich Gabler) which incredibly is still in print (new edition 1997) and even available through amazon.de, having been first printed in 1964 ! ......and a very thorough and approachable bit of work it is too, as well as being very nicely produced and surprisingly cheap. Great diagrams, even if one didn`t know a bit of German. Its continuing availability is a real tribute to him.

I was delighted to find his medals on display in a case in the U-Boat Archiv recently, presented by his widow; also, in the U-564 file in the Archiv, photocopies of a number of pages from his personal photo album. I was particularly interested in these since a number of his photos were identical with some of those in the collection which turned up recently in the UK; however Gabler`s had captions - confirming that it was indeed the Kommandant of U-654, Forster, who came to coffee with Suhren during the patrol, but also revealing, amongst other things, that shots of a quick schapps being drunk below decks was not `splicing the mainbrace` after scoring a hit, but celebrating the engines having done 1,000,000 revolutions !!

There are a number of excellent shots of him on U-564 in the collection now in the RN Sub Museum; I can happily email you one or two if you`re interested. Courtesy of the RN Museum, the Archiv also has a full set on CD, if you`re visiting.

Clearly an extremely able guy, for whom I certainly have the greatest respect. One wonders why he wasn`t put to designing subs from the outset, rather than serving on a U-boat himself - though I grant that there must be nothing like practical experience of the real thing for a designer to have under his belt !

How did you come to meet him ?

Yours aye

Frank

Just found my print-out from Gabler`s website; the address seems to be
[www.gabler-luebeck.de] Hope it`s still there........... </HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
\&quot;Gabler boats\&quot; MPC 08/29/2001 06:33PM
RE: \\\&quot;Gabler boats\\\&quot; Frank 08/29/2001 07:31PM
RE: \\\\\\\&quot;Gabler boats\\\\\\\&quot; Frank 08/29/2001 07:36PM
RE: \\\\\\\&quot;Gabler boats\\\\\\\&quot; Frank 08/29/2001 07:36PM
RE: \\\\\\\&quot;Gabler boats\\\\\\\&quot; MPC 08/30/2001 06:12PM
RE: \\\&quot;Gabler boats\\\&quot; Frank 08/29/2001 08:04PM
RE: \\\\\\\&quot;Gabler boats\\\\\\\&quot; Frank 08/29/2001 08:09PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.