Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
A rant about Das Boot...
Posted by: Daryl Carpenter ()
Date: April 10, 2001 05:54PM

<HTML>Hello,
I\'d just like to blow off some steam, so bear with me. I\'ve been reading some comments bashing Das Boot, and they\'ve really been ****ing me off. Let\'s start off.
You always hear people complaining about how the movie is revisionist and so on and so forth. It\'s especially embarrassing to hear this coming from people who have no idea what a ballast pump is or never heard of Erich Topp.
First off, that whole scene where the crew celebrates the torpedoing of a ship has probably annoyed the most people. I mean, I guess it\'d be more politically correct if someone said \"Hey, we sunk a ship\" in a bored voice, followed by someone saying \"Big deal\", but that\'d be just plain stupid. If you were in that situation, wouldn\'t you be even a little excited?
Then there\'s the famous sinking tanker scene. It\'s especially embarrasing to hear people complain about this one. Everyone here knows it\'s suicidal to try to rescue sailors from a burning ship. You\'d probably get burned up too. No, everyone knows that they\'d shower the crew of the ship with fine wine and expensive chocolates, give them full medical treatments, and fix up their ship and tow it back to Liverpool free of charge. Yes, just like Mush Morton did back in 1943. Come on, this was how the war really was, not some phony fantasy with the ever-righteous United States.
Some people say this film is a Nazi propaganda film. Trust me, if this came out in 1941, Wolfgang Petersen would be hung in front of the Reichstag before the movie even ended.
Needless-to-say, the revisionist-history fueled United States will get out of control. Some day, forty years from now, when the US has destroyed all past history and replaced it with a propanda machine, our idiot President will start WWIII by invading Germany and Japan, simply because he watched \"Raiders of the Lost Ark\", \"U-571\", and some tacky pro-war movies from the 40s.
::rant mode off::

</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
A rant about Das Boot... Daryl Carpenter 04/10/2001 05:54PM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... lars 04/12/2001 06:31AM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... Saskia 04/13/2001 09:18PM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... Jeff Josefsberg 04/16/2001 07:56PM
RE: A rant about Das Boot... Ian Stapley 04/21/2001 10:09AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.