Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Das Boot, 275 minute version
Posted by: cate ()
Date: December 17, 2002 08:40AM

<HTML>Hello Thomsen

If you are interested I posted a quick 'list' a week or so back of the extra material in the mini series on
[pub70.ezboard.com]

Whether you would find the additional stuff of value may of course depend as you say on whether the focus of your interest is mainly the geared towards the action, or story and character development. I would say most of the extra footage is concerned with the latter, but while there are no new action sequences as such, the existing ones are extended.

Personally I like both aspects, and think that some of the best characterisation is to be found within the action sequences. But I'd also be quite happy to spend a couple of extra hours or ten watching the actors flesh out their roles and day to day life on board the boat. I guess that makes me hard core :-)

Re Petersen and his "perfect" cut, I understood him to mean a perfect cinema cut. An episodic TV drama is watched under different circumstances, and cutting a screen version for that medium is a diffrent discipline in which a different pace and structure become appropriate. The fact that we, twenty years on, can watch both versions on disc/ tape at home doesn't invalidate either I think.

Rgds

Cate</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Das Boot, 275 minute version Dave Prucha 11/28/2002 03:01PM
Re: Das Boot, 275 minute version cate 11/28/2002 05:51PM
Re: Das Boot, 275 minute version Thomsen 12/17/2002 01:59AM
Re: Das Boot, 275 minute version cate 12/17/2002 08:40AM
Re: Das Boot, 275 minute version Royston 12/02/2002 09:24AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.