Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Buchheim's War Patrols
Posted by: Dave Prucha ()
Date: August 09, 2003 08:53PM

<HTML>Greetings:

Back on 4 July I posted a new topic whose thread began here:

[www.uboat.net]

I posted to it again on 7 August, but buried as it was under peeing crewman and such, I'm sure it is long lost and forgotten.

Sorry to revisit such a dated thread, but I'd like to share a little additional speculation regarding Buchheim's two patrols aboard U96.

I recently obtained a copy of Buchheim's U-Boat War (Knopf, 1978). In it, he describes in some detail the sinkings of the Clea and the A.F. Corwin. Accompanying are some rather dramatic photos of the sinkings; all 205 photos in the book are supposedly taken by Buchheim himself, drawn from over 5,000 photos he was able to amass in his capacity as a journalist.

Although Buchheim does not offer a date, a little research revealed that both ships were torpedoed by U-96 on 13 February 41 (the tanker A.F. Corwin was burning when U-96 set upon her; she had already been torpedoed by Schutze in U-103. Lehmann-Willenbrock's total bag for this patrol, his third, was a rather impressive 6.5 ships for 44,232 tons).

Thus, I'm rather leaning toward the conclusion that Buchheim's first patrol aboard U-96 was from 1 Feb 41 - 28 Feb 41, and that his second was of course the one from 27 Oct - 6 Dec 41.

What are your thoughts on this?

Meg -

If you're out there (and I'm confident you are), do you have a copy of U-Boat War? If not, it's certainly worthwhile - you should be able to get a used copy from Amazon. One has to approach the text with some skepticism, as there appears to be a blend of fact and fancy, but the photos are quite remarkable, particularly the ones of 'the storm' which he so eloquently describes in The Boat and which is portayed so well in the movie. There are also photos and an account of the rescue of survivors from a boat which hit a mine. This occurred while he was on U-309 (the boat which hit the mine was U-981; his account of this was blended into The Boat - did he also mention it in Die Festung?), which you so kindly researched for me previously. Plus, there are some photos of the 2WO, the navigator and several of the 'Old Man'.

Thanks again for your responses.

Regards,

Dave</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Buchheim's War Patrols Dave Prucha 08/09/2003 08:53PM
Re: Buchheim's War Patrols Meg Rosenfeld 08/09/2003 10:22PM
Re: Buchheim's War Patrols Dave Prucha 08/09/2003 11:45PM
Re: Buchheim's War Patrols Meg Rosenfeld 08/10/2003 04:09AM
Re: Buchheim's War Patrols Io Chrysafidou 08/10/2003 03:32AM
Re: Buchheim's War Patrols Meg Rosenfeld 08/10/2003 03:59AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.