Frequently Asked Questions

How can I obtain the war diary (Kriegstagebuch, KTB) for a specific boat?

KTBs for individual U-boats can be purchased from the US National Archives and Records Administration. They are microfilms of the original German KTBs. Send an email to for information on how to proceed; or, write to Textual Reference Branch, National Archives, 8601 Adelphi Rd., College Park, MD 20740-6001, USA.

This question was last modified: Mon 19 Aug 2002.

Return to the FAQ listing