HMS Dasher (D 37)
Escort Carrier of the Avenger / Charger class
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Class||Avenger / Charger|
|Built by||Sun Shipbuilding (Chester, U.S.A.)|
|Laid down||14 Mar 1940|
|Launched||12 Apr 1941|
|Commissioned||1 Jul 1942|
|Lost||27 Mar 1943|
|Loss position||55.40N, 04.57W|
22nd November 1941. Aquired for the Royal Navy.
On 27 March 1943, HMS Dasher (Capt. Lennox Albert Knox Boswell, DSO, RN) was in the Firth of Clyde when one of her Swordfish planes in practicing take-offs and landings. Suddenly a violent internal explosion occurred, sending Dasher to the bottom in only 5 minutes, stern first in position 55º40'N, 04º57'W. Oil from the ship caught fire and spread across the water to the survivors. 379 men drowned and 149 men were picked up by rescue vessels.
Commands listed for HMS Dasher (D 37)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||Vice-Admiral (retired) Richard Bell Davies, VC, DSO, RN||24 Feb 1942||11 Aug 1942|
|2||Cdr. Charles Nugent Lentaigne, DSO, RN||11 Aug 1942||10 Mar 1943|
|3||Capt. Lennox Albert Knox Boswell, DSO, RN||10 Mar 1943||27 Mar 1943|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Noteable events involving Dasher include:
High-definition sonar survey of wreck of HMS Dasher by HMS Echo, Royal Naval hydrographical ship. The sonar images were not published, but the flight deck shows clear evidence of a large internal explosion. Depth over the wreck is reported as 124m.
We recommend reading 'The Secrets of HMS Dasher' by John and Noreen Steele. Argyll Publishers. ISBN 1 902831 39X Third Edition 2002. It includes a report of the Board of Enquiry and other new information
28 Jun 2000
On this date a team from the European Technical Dive Centre in Scapa Flow dived 131m / 428 ft to the flight deck of HMS Dasher and laid a Memorial Plaque prepared by the relatives' association in memory of the 379 men who perished when HMS Dasher sank on 27th March 1943. The engraved Memorial Plaque was dedicated by the Reverend J Smith. EU Church. Ardrossan.