Allied Warships

HMAS Quickmatch (G 92)

Destroyer of the Q class

NavyThe Royal Australian Navy
PennantG 92 
Built byJ.S. White & Co. (Cowes, U.K.) 
Ordered2 Apr 1940 
Laid down6 Feb 1941 
Launched11 Apr 1942 
Commissioned14 Sep 1942 
End service26 Apr 1963 

In the 1950s, Quickmatch was converted to a fast anti-submarine frigate.

Decommissioned to reserve on 26 April 1963.

Former nameHMS Quickmatch

Commands listed for HMAS Quickmatch (G 92)

Please note that we're still working on this section.

1Lt.Cdr. Rodney Rhoades, DSC, RAN13 May 194211 Mar 1944
2Lt.Cdr. Otto Humphrey Becher, DSC, RAN12 Mar 194425 Jun 1945
3Cdr. James Kenneth Walton, RAN26 Jun 1945

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Quickmatch include:

1 Dec 1942
The Italian blockade breaker Cortellazzo had departed Bordeaux bound for Japan on 29 November 1942. The next day the ship was spotted by a Sunderland flying boat. The British submarines HMS Graph (Lt. P.B. Marriot, RN), HMS Clyde (Lt. R.S. Brookes, DSC, RN), and HMS Sealion (Lt. D. Lambert, DSC, RN), were ordered to intercept but failed to do so.

The British destroyer HMS Redoubt (Lt.Cdr. N.E.G. Ropner, DSO, RN) and the Australian destroyer HMAS Quickmatch (Lt.Cdr. R. Rhoades, DSC, RAN) were detached from convoy KMF-4 to intercept the Italian ship. They did so on 1 December and after the Italians had abandoned ship she was sunk by torpedo by HMS Redoubt about 470 nautical miles west of Cape Finisterre, Spain in position 44°00'N, 20°00'W.

6 Jul 1943
The Canadian merchant Jasper Park is torpedoed and sunk south-south-west of Cap Sainte Marie, Madagascar in position 32°52'S, 42°15'E by German U-boat U-177. Later the Australian destroyers HMAS Quiberon (Cdr. G.S. Stewart, RAN) and HMAS Quickmatch (Lt.Cdr. R. Rhoades, DSC, RAN) together pick up 51 survivors.

26 Dec 1944
At 0500 on 25 December 1944, HMAS Quickmatch (Lt.Cdr. O.H. Becher, DSC, RAN) was ordered from port during what became known as the "Christmas Scare" off Sydney, Australia. German U-boat U-862 had torpedoed the merchant Robin J. Walker. At 2300, the destroyer found the still sinking liberty ship. It left to search for survivors. It lost radar contact with merchant ship at 0300 on the 26th and assumed it sank. Two hours later, it was guided to lifeboats by Catalina aircraft and rescued Captain MacRae and the 66 surviving members of his crew. (1)

Media links

Destroyers of World War Two

Whitley, M. J.


  1. Personal communication

Return to the Allied Warships section