Denis William Boyd DSC, RN

Born  6 Mar 1891

If you can help with photo or any information on this Officer please
use our comment form


15 May 1907 Mid.
15 Jul 1910 S.Lt.
15 Oct 1911 Lt.
15 Oct 1919 Lt.Cdr.
31 Dec 1924 Cdr.
31 Dec 1931 Capt.
8 Jul 1941 Rear-Admiral
30 Jun 1944 Vice-Admiral
21 Jan 1948 Admiral

Retired: 22 Jun 1949


17 Apr 1918 DSC
1 Jan 1941 CBE
17 Jun 1941 Mentioned in Despatches (MID)
2 Jun 1943 CB
14 Jun 1945 KCB

Warship Commands listed for Denis William Boyd, RN

HMS Illustrious (87)Capt.Aircraft Carrier29 Jan 1940early 1941

Career information

We currently have no career / biographical information on this officer.

Events related to this officer

Aircraft Carrier HMS Illustrious (87)

11 Nov 1940

Operation ‘Judgement’, air attack on the Italian naval base at Taranto.

11 November 1940.

At 1800 hours, the aircraft carrier HMS Illustrious (Capt. D.W. Boyd, DSC, RN, flying the flag of Rear-Admiral A.L.St.G. Lyster, CVO, DSO, RN), HMS York (Capt. R.H. Portal, DSC, RN), HMS Gloucester (Capt. H.A. Rowley, RN, flying the flag of Rear-Admiral E. de F. Renouf, CVO, RN) and escorted by HMS Hyperion (Cdr. H.St.L. Nicolson, DSO and Bar, RN), HMS Hasty (Lt.Cdr. L.R.K. Tyrwhitt, RN), ), HMS Havock (Cdr. R.E. Courage, DSO, DSC, RN) and HMS Ilex (Lt.Cdr. P.L. Saumarez, DSC and Bar, RN) were detached for ‘Operation Judgement’ a torpedo and dive-bombing attack on the Italian fleet in Taranto harbour.

At 2000 hours, the force reached the intended position (38°12’N, 19°30’E) to start launching the first wave of twelve aircraft. These were all away by 2040 hours. The second wave of nine aircraft was away by 2134 hours.

The first flight entered a cloud at 2115 hours and four aircraft got separated. The squadron commander continued on his way with eight aircraft (five torpedo, two flares, one bomber). At 2252 hours they sighted the flash of guns and two minutes later the flare droppers were detached to lay their flares along the east side of the harbour.

On the eastern side of the outer harbour there were six Italian battleships. At about 2300 hours the flares of the first wave of aircraft began to illuminate the harbour. Three aircraft came in from the west and made for the battleships on the south side. Two attacked a ‘Cavour-class’ battleships with torpedoes fired from 600 and 700 yards. Both torpedoes apparently hit and a big explosion was seen. The third aircraft was shot down by AA fire.

Three other aircraft came in from the north. They fired three torpedoes at a ‘Littorio-class’ battleships but apparently no hits were obtained.

The two aircraft that had dropped the flares then bombed an oil depot.

The remaining four aircraft from the first wave then attacked. They attacked cruisers and destroyers and also a seaplane base where a large fire began to blaze.

The second wave of aircraft now approached. There were now only eight of them as one aircraft was forced to return to HMS Illustrious with defects. They arrived over the harbour around 2350 hours. Four of th aircraft fired torpedoes. Two at one of the ‘Littorio-class’ that had been attacked also by the first wave. One at the other ‘Littorio-class’. And one at a ‘Cavour-class’ battleship. Two aircraft dropped flares. One aircraft made a dive bombing attack on cruiser and destroyers. The 8th aircraft was unfortunately lost due to enemy AA fire. It is thought one hit on the second ‘Littorio-class’ and one hit on a ‘Cavour-class battleship was obtained by the second wave.

Photographs taken after the attack showed that three battleships were damaged. The Littorio was hit by three torpedoes. The Caio Duilio and Conte di Cavour were both hit by one torpedo. This last battleship was run aground to prevent her from sinking. She was later salvaged but never returned to service.

12 November 1940.

By 0250 hours on the 12th all aircraft, except for the two that were shot down, had returned to HMS Illustrious. Course was then set by the attack force to rejoin the fleet which they did around 0700/12. (1)

22 Jan 1941

Operation MBD 2 (also called operation Inspection).

Extraction of the damaged HMS Illustrious from Malta.

Timespan; 22 January to 25 January 1941.

Having arrived at Malta in the evening of January 10th, HMS Illustrious (Capt. D.W. Boyd, CBE, DSC, RN) underwent temporary repairs there. However the enemy soon noticed this and commenced a series of heavy air attacks with the object of destroying the crippled carrier. It soon became obvious that the Illustrious had to leave Malta as soon as possible.

While at Malta HMS Illustrious was damaged further in these air attacks. She was hit again on the 16th but this caused no serious damage. On the 17th she was hit again on the quarterdeck but again this caused no serious damage. On the 19th she was hit yet again and now more serious damage was caused causing the operation to move her to be delayed. At 1927/20 Vice-Admiral Malta reported that HMS Illustrious would be ready to sail after noon on the 23rd at a speed of about 20 knots.

Departure of HMS Illustrious from Malta.

At 1930/23 HMS Illustrious departed Malta escorted by HMS Jervis (Capt. P.J. Mack, DSO, RN), HMS Janus (Cdr. J.A.W. Tothill, RN), HMS Juno (Cdr. St.J.R.J. Thyrwhitt, RN) and HMS Greyhound (Cdr. W.R. Marshall-A’Deane, DSO, DSC, RN). During the night of 23/24 January the Illustrious made better speed then anticipated (about 24 knots).

A cover force, ‘Force B’, made up of HMS Orion (Capt. G.R.B. Back, RN, flying the flag of Vice-Admiral H.D. Pridham-Whippell, CB, CVO, RN), HMS Ajax (Capt. E.D.B. McCarthy, RN), HMS Bonaventure (Capt. H.G. Egerton, RN), HMS York (Capt. R.H. Portal, DSC, RN), HMS Ilex (Capt. H.St.L. Nicolson, DSO and Bar, RN) and HMS Hero (Cdr. H.W. Biggs, DSO, RN), which had departed Suda Bay around dawn on the 23rd, failed to make contact with her.

However in the forenoon ‘Force C’ made up of HMS Barham (Capt. G.C. Cooke, RN, flying the flag of A/Rear-Admiral H.B. Rawlings, OBE, RN), HMS Valiant (Capt. C.E. Morgan, DSO, RN), HMAS Perth (Capt. P.W. Bowyer-Smith, RN), HMS Nubian (Cdr. R.W. Ravenhill, RN), HMS Mohawk (Cdr. J.W.M. Eaton, RN), HMS Hasty (Lt.Cdr. L.R.K. Tyrwhitt, RN), HMS Hereward (Cdr. C.W. Greening, RN), HMS Griffin (Lt.Cdr. J. Lee-Barber, RN) and HMS Diamond (Lt.Cdr. P.A. Cartwright, RN), which had departed Alexandria around noon on the 22nd, joined her.

HMS Illustrious was detected by enemy aircraft twice but no air attacks on her developed. ‘Force B’ however came under heavy air attack. Torpedo bombing, high-level bombing and dive-bombing attacks were carried out. HMS Hero became detached due to a breakdown in her steering gear and was singled out for a specially heavy attack. There were many near misses no ship was actually hit, although HMS Ajax sustained some minor damage from a near miss. At least one enemy aircraft was shot down by AA gunfire.

All forces involved arrived at Alexandria on the 25th minus HMAS Perth which had been detached P.M. on the 25th to operate in the Aegean. (2)


  1. ADM 234/325
  2. ADM 199/414

ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.

You can help improve officers Denis William Boyd's page
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this officer.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve his page.

Allied Commanders main page