Estonian Steam merchant
|Completed||1883 - J. Readhead & Co, South Shields|
|Owner||A. Saarna & G.H. Dahlgren, Haapsalu|
|Date of attack||6 Feb 1940||Nationality: Estonian|
|Fate||Sunk by U-13 (Heinz Scheringer)|
|Position||56° 27'N, 2° 36'W - Grid AN 0179|
|Complement||? men (7 dead and ? survivors).|
|Route||Gothenburg - Aberdeen - Dundee|
|History||Built as British Wylo for Gracie, Beazley & Co. 1896 sold to Sweden and renamed Billio for G.L. Vatis, Grekland. 1899 sold to Rederi-A/B Excelsior (J. Persson), Helsingborg and renamed Excelsior. 1913 transferred to Rederi-A/B Polaris and 1916 sold to H. Unérs A/B, Norrköping. 1917 transferred to Robert Göhle and 1921 sold to Joh. Gorthon, Helsingborg. 1921 sold to Rederi-A/B Cecil (G.F. Persson), Landskrona and 1934 to A/B G.H. Dahlgren, Helsingborg. 1939 sold to Estonia and renamed Anu. |
|Notes on event|
On 6 February 1940 the Anu (Master Johannes Raudsoo) struck a mine, laid on 12 December 1939 by U-13, off the entrance to River Tay and sank. The master, his wife and four crew members were lost. The cook later died of burns in a hospital in Dundee.
|On board||We have details of 2 people who were on board.|
If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.