HMS Cape Warwick (FY 167)
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Class||[No specific class]|
|Built by||Cochrane & Sons Shipbuilders Ltd. (Selby, U.K.)|
|Launched||16 Mar 1937|
Completed in May 1937.
In October 1941 Cape Warwick was a member of the 3rd escort group, employed in convoy escort duties in the North Atlantic. Whilst working in Icelandic waters, she took in tow a merchantman which had grounded on the coast. After losing most of her cable the trawler managed to get the cargo vessel into Reykjavik. On the way into harbour, a tug attempted to take over the tow, only desisting when the Commanding Officer of Cape Warwick vigorously promised to use his 4” gun. The Captain lodged a salvage claim and a year later the princely pay out was made by the Admiralty. The captain received £10 his other officers £4 and the ratings £1.
In 1942 Cape Warwick was employed in escorting American convoys from Boston down the Eastern seaboard to Key West in Florida, making calls at New York, Norfolk (Virginia), Wilmington and Charleston. In December, after being loaned to the U.S. Navy, she was transferred to South African waters to combat the growing U-boat activity in that area. She was employed on asdic patrol and as an escort for convoys from Walvis Bay round the Cape of Good Hope, and up to Durban and Mombassa.
From 3 to 6 March 1943 Cape Warwick was docked in the Selborne dry dock at Simonstown, South Africa In April whilst escorting a small convoy consisting of three ships from Walvis Bay to Cape Town, the Britsh steam passenger ship City Of Baroda (7.129 tons), was torpedoed in postition 26.56S, 15.21E by U-509. Cape Warwick (Lt. W.E. Goggin) managed to rescue 325 crew and passengers, the Captain and his officers with fresh visions of salvage in mind, wanted to take the stricken merchantman in tow, as she appeared to be floating fairly well, but orders came for him to abandon the hulk and proceed to Cape Town with the survivors. This was a four day journey conditions onboard with over 300 souls were terrible, and everything that could possibly be jettisoned went over the side. Every inch of deck space was occupied, people had to sleep sitting up for want of space, and the life boat rations had to be used for food. On arrival in Cape Town, a welcoming surprise awaited the survivors and crew. Tables laden with food had been set out on the quay-side which had been provided by the Woman`s Volunteer Service of South Africa.
Cape Warwick remained in South African waters until after the war, and then returned to the U.K. On 26 January 1946 She was sold and later she was converted back into commercial use. On 12 November 1966 Cape Warwick was finally scrapped at Burcht, after having being renamed Evander in 1956.
Commands listed for HMS Cape Warwick (FY 167)
Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.
|1||Lt. Frederick Harold Thornton, RNR||16 Oct 1939||22 Feb 1940|
|2||Lt. (retired) Robert Fletcher Turnbull, RNR||22 Feb 1940||2 Oct 1940|
|3||T/Lt. Arthur Kennedy Nears, RNR||2 Oct 1940||10 Sep 1941|
|4||T/Lt. William Edward Goggin, RNR||10 Sep 1941||Aug 1943|
|5||T/Lt. Kenneth Joseph Stern, RNVR||Aug 1943||29 Dec 1944|
|6||T/Lt. Charles William Leslie Moser, RNVR||29 Dec 1944|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Cape Warwick include:
6 Feb 1942
HMS Tuna (Lt. M.B. St. John, RN) departed from Holy Loch for her 13th war patrol. She was ordered to patrol off the Norwegian Coast. She was escorted out until 1200/8 by HMS Cape Warwick (T/Lt. W.E. Goggin, RNR).
No logs are available for this period so no map of this patrol can be displayed. (1)
2 Apr 1943
HMS Cape Warwick (T/Lt. W.E. Goggin, RNR) picks up 325 crew and passengers from the British passenger ship City of Baroda that was torpedoed and damaged by German U-boat U-509 north-west of Cape town, South-Africa in position 26°56'S, 15°21'E.
- ADM 199/1844
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.