Allied Warships

HMS Haarlem (FY 306)

ASW Trawler

NavyThe Royal Navy
TypeASW Trawler
Class[No specific class] 
PennantFY 306 
Built byCochrane & Sons Shipbuilders Ltd. (Selby, U.K.) 
Laid down 
Launched20 Nov 1937 
CommissionedJul 1940 
End service 

Completed in 9 March 1938.
Taken over by the Admiralty on 8 June 1940.
Displacement: 431 tons.

Returned to her owner in November 1945.
Scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht, Netherlands late 1960.


Commands listed for HMS Haarlem (FY 306)

Please note that we're still working on this section
and that we only list Commanding Officers for the duration of the Second World War.

1T/Lt. Leslie Bertram Merrick, RNRJul 194024 Sep 1942
2Lt. Harry Riding, RNR24 Sep 1942Jan 1943
3T/Lt. James Reginald Turner Broom, RNVRJan 1943late 1943
4T/Lt. Donald Arthur King, RNVRlate 194329 Jul 1944
5T/Lt. Desmond D'Arcy Hay Kerr, RNVR29 Jul 1944

You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.

Notable events involving Haarlem include:

21 Aug 1940
HrMs O 9 (Lt. H.A.W. Goossens, RNN) participated in A/S exercises off Tobermory with HMS Southern Pride (Lt. N.B.J. Stapleton, RNR) and HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR). (1)

25 Aug 1940
HrMs O 9 (Lt. H.A.W. Goossens, RNN) participated in A/S exercises off Tobermory with HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR) and HMS Recoil (Lt. I.M. Wilson, RNVR). (1)

24 Oct 1940
With her trials and training completed, HMS Unique (Lt. A.F. Collett, RN), departed Campbeltown for Portsmouth. She was escorted by HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR). (2)

31 Jan 1941

Operations Picket and Result.

Operations against the Lake Omodeo Dam in central Sardinia (Picket) and the bombardment of Genoa (Result).

31 January 1941.

'Force H' departed Gibraltar for these operations. It was diverted into four groups, these were;

Group 1 was made up of the battlecruiser HMS Renown (Capt R.R. McGrigor, RN, flying the flag of Vice-Admiral J.F. Somerville, KCB, DSO, RN), battleship HMS Malaya (Capt. A.F.E. Palliser, DSC, RN), aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal (Capt. C.S. Holland, RN) and the light cruiser HMS Sheffield (Capt. C.A.A. Larcom, RN).

Group 2 was made up of the destroyers HMS Fearless (Cdr. A.F. Pugsley, RN), HMS Firedrake (Lt.Cdr. S.H. Norris, DSO, DSC, RN), HMS Foresight (Cdr. J.S.C. Salter, RN), HMS Foxhound (Lt.Cdr. G.H. Peters, DSC, RN), HMS Fury (Lt.Cdr. T.C. Robinson, RN) and HMS Jersey (Lt.Cdr. A.F. Burnell-Nugent, DSC, RN).

Group 3 was made up of the destroyers HMS Duncan (A/Capt. A.D.B. James, RN), HMS Encounter (Lt.Cdr. E.V.St.J. Morgan, RN), HMS Isis (Cdr. C.S.B. Swinley, DSC, RN) and HMS Jupiter (Lt.Cdr. N.V.J.P. Thew, RN).

And finally Group 4 was made up of the RFA tanker Orangeleaf (5927 GRT, built 1917) escorted by the auxiliary A/S trawlers HMS Arctic Ranger (Cdr.(Retd.) J.H. Young, RN) and HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR).

On leaving harbour HMS Ark Royal flew off one aircraft for A/S patrol. This patrol was maintained throughout the day.

At 1930/31, group 2 (six destroyers) were detached in position 36°25'N, 03°24'W and were ordered to proceed at economical speed to a position to the north of the Balearics where they were to rendez-vous with the remainder of the force (minus the tanker group) during the forenoon of 2 February.

1 February 1941.

At 0845/1, when in position 37°05'N, 00°32'E, groups 1 and 3 altered course to the north-east.

From 1130/1 onwards a section of fighters from HMS Ark Royal was maintained overhead until dusk.

At 1500/1 course was altered to 084°.

By 1810/1 all aircraft had returned to HMS Ark Royal.

At 1900/1, HMS Malaya escorted by HMS Encounter and HMS Jupiter were detached and ordered to rendez-vous with the remainder of 'Force H' at 0900/2 in position 40°55'N, 06°30'E. This was to economize fuel in HMS Malaya to enable to her to retreat after the bombardment of Genoa at a higher speed.

At 1910/1, HMS Renown, HMS Ark Royal, HMS Sheffield, HMS Duncan and HMS Isis, altered course to 062° and increased speed to 24 knots to arrive in the flying off position for Operation Picket.

2 February 1941.

At 0555/2, eight Swordfish were flown off from HMS Ark Royal in position 40°07'N, 06°54'E. They were armed with torpedoes to attack the dam.

At 0730/2, two more Swordfish were flown off to locate HMS Malaya and her two escorting destroyers and direct her to a rendez-vous position of 40°34'N, 06°38'E at 1000/2.

The first of seven Swordfish that returned from the raid on the dam landed on at 0830/2. The last aircraft landed on at 0848/2. One Swordfish failed to return.

The two Swordfish that had located HMS Malaya returned at 0900/2.

The striking force had encountered rain and hail showers over the land and severe icing conditions in a cloud level of 5000 feet. Ground defences were unduly alart and after the first five miles over the land, fire was encountered from Bofors and light automatic guns apparently posted along the roads leading to Tirso. throughout the final approach fire was heavy, becoming intense in the vicinity of the dam.

One aircaft becoming lost in the cloud, never located the target and finally returned to HMS Ark Royal with his torpedo. The remaining seven aircraft made individual approaches and all except one came under heavy fire. As a result of intense opposition and icing conditions in the clouds, two aircraft jettisoned their torpedoes. Of the remaining five, one was shot down, one made a high drop, nose down, two dropped approximately correctly, and one was able to take good, steady aim. No explosions were observed. The last pilot, after his attack, flew over the dam at a height of 60 feet, machine gunning the defences. He observed no damage on the south face of the dam. It is thought that if the torpedoes failed to reach the dam their run may have been stopped by a bank of silt. Information was later received from an Italian broadcast that the crew of the Swordfish that had been shot down had been taken prisoner.

The wind was by now force 6, with a rising sea, and HMS Duncan reported damage to the gun shield of 'A' gun. Visibility was moderate but improving.

At 1005/2 course was altered to 290° and eight minutes later HMS Malaya and her two escorting destroyers were sighted.

By 1115/2 HMS Malaya, HMS Encounter and HMS Jupiter had rejoined. At noon HMS Ark Royal reported that flying conditions were becoming hazardous so the A/S patrol was abandoned. Only a section of Fulmar fighters were maintained in the air as conditions were unsuitable for Skua's. At times HMS Ark Royal was dipping her flight deck into the sea. Speed had also to be reduced to 15 knots as this was the maximum speed the destroyers could proceed without sustaining damage.

At 1530/2 HMS Malaya requisted permission to turn down wind to make repairs as her cable lockers were flooding beyond the capacity of the pumps. Course was altered and speed was reduced to 10 knots at 1540/2. The original course and 15 knots speed were resumed at 1635/2.

Four Swordfish aircraft, which had been flown off to locate the six detached destroyers reported them as bearing 285°, distance 40 nautical miles at 1615/2. Course was altered to 000° at 1730/2 to ensure contact was made before dark and one hour later the destroyers joined the screen.

The northwesterly gale which had persisted all day had prevented 'Force H' from making the nesecssary ground to the west and north. Throughout the day various destroyers had reported damage at a speed of 15 knots and by the time the rendezvous with the six detached destroyers had been effected, Vice-Admiral Somerville was left with the choice of abanadoning operastion Result or making good a speed of 20 knots thoughout the night. This latter would have been impossible with the destroyers in company and problematical without them. Consideration was given to only attack Genoa with aircraft from HMS Ark Royal but in the end it was decided to abandon the operation.

3 February 1941.

At 0400/3 course was altered to 210°. The wind was still force 6, with a short sea. HMS Fearless reported at 0530/3 tht she was beginning to bump badly and speed was reduced to 13 knots.

HMS Ark Royal flew off three Swordfish at 0745/3 to seach for shipping between Cape Tortosa and Alicante up to fifty miles from the coast. A similar search was carried out in the afternoon between Cape San Antonio and Cape Palos. It was the intention to detach destroyers to close and investigate all ships reported by the aircraft but the only ship located was already in the approaches to Valencia and therefore could not be intercepted in time before it reached that port.

During the forenoon exercises were carried out during which HMS Jersey was serving as 'target'.

Course was altered to south at 1335/3 and speed was increased to 18 knots. The wind had veered to north-north-west and was still force 6. The wind eased a little towards the end of the afternoon but then increased to force 8 by 1700/3.

At 1715/3, dive bombing exercises were carried out on the fleet by four Skua's. After the first attack one aircraft force-landed in the sea on the starboard beam of the Fleet close to the destroyer screen. The crew was picked up by HMS Jupiter. The aircraft then sank.

All flying was completed by 1815/3. After dark course was reversed for twenty minutes in preparation for a night encounter exercises with HMS Jersey and HMS Jupiter which had been detached from the screen at dusk. These two destroyers, attacking from leeward, were sighted at long range. Evasion, counter-attack, star-shell and searchlights were exercised and the practice was completed by 2038/3.

4 February 1941.

A speed of 17 knots was maintained during the night and at 0100/4 course was altered to the westward. The wind remained a steady force 6 from the north-north-west.

At 0630/4, HMS Ark Royal screened by three of the destroyers hauled out of the line and they proceeded independently for flying off Swordfish aircraft for a dawn light torpedo attack on the Fleet. This attack was well delivered.

At 0800/4 speed was increased to 18 knots and HMS Sheffield took station eleven miles on the starboard beam to act as a target for gunnery exercises by HMS Renown and HMS Malaya. On completion HMS Sheffield then carried out an exercise with the leading destroyer of the screen. Finally HMS Fearless and HMS Foresight then carried out an exercise on HMS Sheffield.

By noon the sea had moderated and the wind had dropped to force 5. During the afternoon destroyers of the screen carried out exercises.

The ships of 'Force H' entered harbour at Gibraltar between 1715 and 2000 hours. (3)

28 Mar 1941
HrMs O 21 (Lt.Cdr. J.F. van Dulm, RNN) carries out exercises off Gibraltar with HMS Fortune (Lt.Cdr. E.N. Sinclair, RN), HMS Kingston Chrysolite (Skr. G.T. Lilley, DSC, RNR) and HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR). (4)

17 Jul 1941
At 1055A/17, HMS Talisman (Lt. M. Willmott, RN) arrived at Gibraltar.

HMS Talisman was escorted in by HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR) which had joined around 0530Z/17.

At Gibraltar HMS Talisman is docked at an (to us) unknown date. It is currently also not known to us when she was undocked. (5)

19 Oct 1941
HMS Haarlem (Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNVR) picks up one survivor from the British tanker Inverlee that was torpedoed and sunk by German U-boat U-204 30 nautical miles 240° from Cape Spartel, Morocco.

6 Jan 1942
HMS Severn (Lt.Cdr. A.N.G. Campbell, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Gibraltar together with HMS Active (Lt.Cdr. M.W. Tomkinson, RN) and HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. L.B. Merrick, RNR). (6)

29 Nov 1942
HMS H 43 (Lt. B.J.B. Andrew, DSC, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Tobermory with HMS Lord Austin (T/Lt. E.L. Wathen, RNR), HMS Ayrshire, HMS Test (Lt.Cdr.(Retd.) F.B. Collinson, RD, RN) and HMS Haarlem (Lt. H. Riding, RNR). (7)

2 Dec 1942
HMS H 43 (Lt. R. Boyd, DSC, RN) conducted A/S exercises off Tobermory with HMS Haarlem (Lt. H. Riding, RNR) and HMS Mullet (A/Skr.Lt. J. Murray, RNR). (8)

19 Jul 1943

Combined convoy OS 52 / KMS 21G.

This convoy was assembled off Oversay on 19 July 1943.

On assembly it was made up of the transports; Amberton (British, 5377 GRT, built 1928), Antilochus (British, 9082 GRT, built 1906), Avristan (British, 7266 GRT, built 1942), Baron Haig (British, 3391 GRT, built 1926), Barrgrove (British, 5222 GRT, built 1918), Borgholm (Norwegian, 1557 GRT, built 1922), Bothnia (British, 2407 GRT, built 1928), City of Lyons (British, 7063 GRT, built 1926), Clan MacBrayne (British, 4818 GRT, built 1916), Contractor (British, 6004 GRT, built 1930), Cordillera (British, 6865 GRT, built 1920), Deido (British, 3894 GRT, built 1928), El Argentino (British, 9501 GRT, built 1928), Empire Brutus (British, 7233 GRT, built 1943), Empire Carpenter (British, 7025 GRT, built 1943), Empire Celia (British, 7025 GRT, built 1943), Empire Glen (British, 6327 GRT, built 1941), Empire Heath (British, 6643 GRT, built 1941), Empire Highway (British, 7166 GRT, built 1942), Empire Kingsley (British, 6996 GRT, built 1941), Empire Mountain (British, 2906 GRT, built 1943), Empire Samson (British (tug), 261 GRT, built 1943), Empire Voice (British, 6828 GRT, built 1940), Fernhill (British, 4116 GRT, built 1926), Finland (British, 1375 GRT, built 1939), Flimston (British, 4674 GRT, built 1925), Forresbank (British, 5155 GRT, built 1925), Fort Brule (British, 7133 GRT, built 1942), Fort Buffalo (British, 7100 GRT, built 1943), Fort Chesterfield (British, 7100 GRT, built 1943), Fort Enterprise (British, 7126 GRT, built 1943), Fort Longueuil (British, 7128 GRT, built 1942), Fort Nakasley (British, 7132 GRT, built 1943), Fort Wringley (British, 7128 GRT, built 1943), Glaisdale (British, 3777 GRT, built 1929), Governor (British, 5571 GRT, built 1918), Grodno (British, 2458 GRT, built 1919), Halizones (British, 3298 GRT, built 1920), Hallfried (Norwegian, 2968 GRT, built 1918), Henri Jaspar (Belgian, 5760 GRT, built 1929), Highwear (British, 1173 GRT, built 1936), Hopecrest (British, 5099 GRT, built 1935), Hughli (British, 6589 GRT, built 1943), Jenny (Norwegian, 4706 GRT, built 1928), Kana (British, 2783 GRT, built 1929), Kofresi (British, 4934 GRT, built 1920), Kyklades (Greek, 7157 GRT, built 1941), Levernbank (British, 5150 GRT, built 1925), Lwow (Polish, 1409 GRT, built 1932), Magician (British, 5105 GRT, built 1925), Madalay (British, 5529 GRT, built 1911), Mary Kingsley (British, 5021 GRT, built 1930), Masirah (British, 6578 GRT, built 1919), Nurani (British, 5414 GRT, built 1941), Nurjehan (British, 5424 GRT, built 1923), Ocean Vigour (British, 7174 GRT, built 1942), Ottinge (British, 2870 GRT, built 1940), Parklaan (Dutch, 3807 GRT, built 1911), Pegu (British, 7838 GRT, built 1943), Recorder (British, 2276 GRT, built 1902), Silvermaple (British, 5313 GRT, built 1937), Sobo (British, 5353 GRT, built 1937), Spero (British, 1589 GRT, built 1922), Spurt (Norwegian, 2061 GRT, built 1918), Temple Arch (British, 5138 GRT, built 1940), Themistocles (British, 11231 GRT, built 1911), Thomas Holt (British, 3585 GRT, built 1929) and Wellington Court (British, 4979 GRT, built 1930).

The convoy was escorted by the sloop HMS Fowey (Cdr.(Retd.) L.B.A. Majendie, RN), frigate HMS Berry (Lt.Cdr. G.V. Legassick, RD, RNR) and the corvettes HMS Campion (Lt.Cdr. A. Brown, RNR), HMS Jonquil (T/Lt. R.W. Tretheway, RNR), HMS Mallow (T/A/Lt.Cdr. H.T.S. Clouston, RNVR), HMS Myosotis (T/Lt. R. Lugg, RNR) and HrMs Friso (Lt.Cdr. P.L.M. van Geen, RNN).

Later the escort was reinforced with the corvette HMS Stonecrop (Lt.Cdr. J.P. Smythe, RNR) which departed Liverpool on 24 July 1942 to overtake the convoy. She proceeded via the south of Ireland.

The merchant vessels Antilochus and Highwear were forced to return due to defects.

On 26 July 1943, the convoy was attack by German Focke-Wulf reconnaissance aircraft which managed to sink the El Argentino in position 39°50'N, 13°36'W. The Empire Brutus was damaged shortly afterwards and was taken in tow by the tug Empire Samson towards Lisbon. They were escorted by HMS Jonquil. They arrived at Lisbon on 30 July.

On 27 July 1943, the convoy was again attacked by German aircraft and the Halizone was damaged in position 38°04'N, 12°59'W. She finally sank on 30 July in position 37°22'N, 13°03'W. HMS Berry had been standing by her for a short period but as she could not be spared from the A/S screen she was soon ordered to rejoin the convoy. From Gibraltar the destroyer HMS Wanderer (Lt.Cdr. R.F. Whinney, RN) and tug Prosperous was sent out. She found the ship on 30 July but she sank soon afterwards.

On 26 July 1943, the Gibraltar section of convoy OS 52 [see below for the ships in this section] had departed Gibraltar to make rendezvous with the combined convoy. They were escorted by the destroyer HMS Isis (Cdr. B. Jones, DSC, RN), corvettes HMS Bergamot (Lt. R.T. Horan, RNR), HMS Bryony (T/Lt. T. Hand, RNR), minesweepers Shippigan (Cdr. M.H. Brown, DSC, RN), Tadoussac (T/Lt. J.P. Davies, RNR), A/S trawlers HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. J.R.T. Broom, RNVR), HMS Lady Hogarth (T/Lt. S.G. Barnes, RNR), HMS St. Nectan (T/A/Lt.Cdr. T.F. Broadhead, RNR) and the A/S whaler HMS Southern Pride (T/Lt. G.B. Angus, DSC, RNVR).

They made rendezvous with the combined convoy on 27 July which then split up. The ships coming from Gibraltar then joined the ships continuing on towards West Africa. They were escorted by the ships of the original escort. HMS Southern Pride joined them as she was to join the West Africa Command.

The ships making up convoy KMS 21G set course for Gibraltar.


Convoy KMS 21G was now made up of the following transports; Avristan, City of Lyons, Clan MacBrayne, Contractor, Empire Carpenter, Empire Celia, Empire Glen, Empire Heath, Empire Kingsley, Empire Mountain, Empire Voice, Finland, Forresbank, Fort Brule, Fort Buffalo, Fort Enterprise, Fort Longueuil, Fort Wringley, Glaisdale, Grondo, Hallfried, Highwear, Hughli, Kana, Kofresi, Levernbank, Lwow, Magician, Mandalay, Masirah, Nurani, Nurjehan, Ocean Valour, Ottinge, Parklaan, Pegu, Recorder, Spero and Temple Arch.

They were escorted by HMS Isis, HMS Bergamot, HMS Bryony, HMS Shippigan, HMS Tadoussac, HMS Haarlem, HMS Lady Hogarth and HMS St.Nectan.

The AA cruiser HMS Charybdis (Capt. G.A.W. Voelcker, RN) joined them late in the evening of the 27th.

The convoy arrived at/ off Gibraltar on 29 July 1943.


Convoy OS 52 continued on towards the south. It was made up of the following transports; Amberton, Barrgrove, Bothnia, Cordillera, Deido, Empire Highway, Flimston, Fort Chesterfield, Fort Nakasley, Governor, Henri Jaspar, Hopecrest, Jenny, Kyklades, Mary Kingsley, Silvermaple, Sobo, Themistocles, Thomas Holt and Wellington Court.

They were escorted by the sloop HMS Fowey, frigate HMS Berry, corvettes HMS Campion, HMS Mallow, HMS Myosotis, HMS Stonecrop, HMS Friso and the A/S whaler HMS Southern Pride.

As the convoy split they were joined by the Gibraltar section made up of the following transports; Anglo-Indian (British, 5609 GRT, built 1938), Beaconsfield (British, 4635 GRT, built 1938), Belgian Airmen (Belgian, 6959 GRT, built 1942), Charlton Hall (British, 5200 GRT, built 1940), Cromarty (British, 4974 GRT, built 1936), Empire Stalwart (British, 7045 GRT, built 1943), Fort Abitibi (British, 7122 GRT, built 1942), Iddesleigh (British, 5205 GRT, built 1927), Kristianiafjord (British, 6759 GRT, built 1921), Nyanza (British, 4974 GRT, built 1928) and Ocean Gallant (British, 7178 GRT, built 1942).

Later the following transport joined coming from Casablanca; Alsace (French, 2000 GRT, built 1939), Canada (French, 9684 GRT, built 1912), Fort Vercheres (British, 7128 GRT, built 1942), La Pampa (British, 4149 GRT, built 1938), Nivose (British, 9200 GRT, built 1932) and Silverteak (British, 6770 GRT, built 1930).

These ships were escorted out by the patrol vessels USS PC-471 (Lt. G. Washburn, USNR), USS PC-474 (Lt. A.D. Weekes, Jr., USNR) and USS PC-480 (Lt.(jg) F.W. Meyers, Jr., USNR).

The following ships were detached to Casablanca; Fort Chesterfield and Fort Nakasley. They were escorted by the three USN patrol vessels listed above.

HMS Berry, HMS Mallow and HMS Stonecrop from the escort fuelled at Casablanca before rejoining the convoy. HMS Berry departed Casablanca at 1500A/29, HMS Mallow at 1700A/29 and HMS Stonecrop at 0500A/30.

Later the following transport joined coming from Dakar; Agen (French, 4186 GRT, built 1921), Fort Lac La Ronge (British, 7131 GRT, built 1942) and Schiaffino Freres (French, 3314 GRT, built 1910).

The following ships were detached to Dakar; Alsace, Canada, Fort Vercheres, Henri Jaspar, Nivose and Thomas Holt.

Detached to Bathurst was the Bothnia.

The convoy arrived at Freetown on 7 August 1943.

28 Mar 1944
ORP Dzik (Kpt.mar. (Lt.Cdr.) B.S. Romanowski), Antiope and FT 16 [Fleet Tender] departed Gibraltar to the westward. They were escorted by HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. D.A. King, RNVR). (9)

29 Aug 1944
HMS Voracious (Lt. F.D.G. Challis, DSC, RN) departed Gibraltar for Malta. She was escorted out by HMS Haarlem (T/Lt. D.D.H. Kerr, RNVR) until she joined convoy UGS 51 for the passage.

For the daily positions of HMS Voracious to Malta see the map below.



  1. File (Dutch Archives, The Hague, Netherlands)
  2. ADM 173/16680
  3. ADM 199/656
  4. File (Dutch Archives, The Hague, Netherlands)
  5. ADM 199/1119
  6. ADM 173/17567
  7. ADM 173/17255
  8. ADM 173/17256
  9. ADM 199/1853 + ADM 199/2494
  10. ADM 173/19437

ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.

Return to the Allied Warships section