HMS Reighton Wyke (FY 134)
|Navy||The Royal Navy|
|Class||[No specific class]|
|Built by||Cochrane & Sons Shipbuilders Ltd. (Selby, U.K.)|
|Launched||30 Nov 1936|
Completed in January 1937.
Returned to her owner in December 1945.
Commands listed for HMS Reighton Wyke (FY 134)
Please note that we're still working on this section.
|1||Lt. Thomas Conolly, RNR||16 Oct 1939||31 Dec 1939|
|2||Skr. John Foubister Banks, RNR||31 Dec 1939||16 May 1942|
|3||Skr. George McKay Sutherland, RNR||16 May 1942||Nov 1944|
|4||T/A/Skr.Lt. Harry Westerden, RNR||Nov 1944|
You can help improve our commands section
Click here to Submit events/comments/updates for this vessel.
Please use this if you spot mistakes or want to improve this ships page.
Notable events involving Reighton Wyke include:
24 May 1943
Convoy ET 21.
This convoy departed Bone / Philippeville on 24 May 1943 for Gibraltar where it arrived on 28 May 1943.
No full info on the composition of this convoy is currently known to us.
On departure from Bone / Philippeville the convoy was escorted by the destroyers HMS Javelin (Lt.Cdr. J.M. Alliston, DSC, RN), HMS Kelvin (Lt.Cdr. J.T.B. Birch, DSO, DSC, RN), HMS Velox (Lt. G.B. Barstow, RN), HMS Venomous (Lt. H.D. Durell, RN) and the escort destroyer HMS Liddesdale (Lt.Cdr. A.A. Mackenzie, RNR).
HMS Javelin and HM Kelvin were detached on the 26th to conduct an A/S hunt but rejoined later the same day.
The convoy made a short call at Algiers on 26 May and various ships were detached and other ships joined and the escort was reinforced with other vessels. On arrival at Gibraltar the following escorts had joined the convoy additional to the ones listed above; corvette HMS Pentstemon (T/Lt. D.C. Williams, RNVR), A/S trawlers HMS Gavotte (T/Lt. D. Bates, RNR), HMS Tango (T/Lt. J. Hunter, RNR) and the auxiliary A/S trawlers HMS King Sol (Lt. P.A. Read, RNR) and HMS Reighton Wyke (Skr. G.M. Sutherland, RNR).
Also the rescue tug HMRT Restive had joined the convoy (1)
- ADM 199/639
ADM numbers indicate documents at the British National Archives at Kew, London.