Surrender order of the German U-boat fleet
German surrender documents
SURRENDER OF GERMAN "U" BOAT FLEET
To all "U" Boats at sea:
Carry out the following instructions forthwith which have been given by the Allied Representatives
- Surface immediately and remain surfaced.
- Report immediately in P/L your position in latitude and longitude and number of your "U" Boat to nearest British, US, Canadian or Soviet coast W/T station on 500 kc/s (600 metres) and to call sign GZZ 10 on one of the following high frequencies: 16845 - 12685 or 5970 kc/s.
- Fly a large black or blue flag by day.
- Burn navigation lights by night.
- Jettison all ammunition, remove breachblocks from guns and render torpedos safe by removing pistols. All mines are to be rendered safe.
- Make all signals in P/L.
- Follow strictly the instructions for proceeding to Allied ports from your present area given in immediately following message.
- Observe strictly the orders of Allied Representatives to refrain from scuttling or in any way damaging your "U" Boat.
2. These instructions will be repeated at two-hour intervals until further notice.
To all "U" Boats at sea. Observe strictly the instructions already given to remain fully surfaced. Report your position course and speed every 8 hours. Obey any instructions that may be given to you by any Allied authority.
The following are the areas and routes for "U" Boats surrendering-
(1) Area 'A'.
- Bound on West by meridian 026 degs West and South by parallel 043 degs North in Barents Sea by meridian 020 degs East in Baltic Approaches by line joining the Naze and Hantsholm but excludes Irish Sea between 051 degs thirty mins and 055 degs 00 mins North and English Channel between line of Lands End Scilly Islands Ushant and line of Dover-Calais.
- Join one of following routes at nearest point and procceed along it to Loch Eriboll (058 degs 33 minutes North 004 degs 37 mins West)
Blue route: All positions North and West unless otherwise indicated
049 degs 00 mins
009 degs 00 mins
053 degs 00 mins
012 degs 00 mins
058 degs 00 mins
011 degs 00 mins
059 degs 00 mins
005 degs 30 mins
thence to Loch Eriboll.
053 degs 45 mins North
003 degs 00 mins East
059 degs 45 mins
001 degs 00 mins
059 degs 45 mins
003 degs 00 mins
thence to Loch Eriboll.
c. Arrive at Loch Eriboll between sunrise and 3 hours before sunset.
(2) Area 'B'
- The Irish Sea between parallel of 051 degs 30 mins and 055 degs 00 mins North.
- Proceed Beaumaris Bay (053 degs 19 mins North 003 degs 58 mins West) to arrive between sunrise and 3 hours before sunset.
(3) Area 'C'
- The English Channel between line of Lands End - Scilly Isles - Ushant and line of Dover - Calais.
- 'U' Boats in area 'C' are to join one of following routes at nearest point: Green route: position 'A' 049 degs 10 mins North 005 degs 40 mins West position 'B' 050 degs 00 mins North 003 degs 00 mins West thence escorted to Weymouth. Orange route: position 'X' 050 degs 30 mins North 000 degs 50 mins East position 'Y' 050 degs 10 mins North 001 degs 50 mins West thence escorted to Weymouth.
- arrive at either 'B' or 'Y' between sunrise and 3 hours before sunset.
(4) Area 'D'
- Bound on West by lines joining The Naze and Hantsholm and on East by lines joining Lubeck and Trelleborg.
- Proceed to Kiel.
(5) Area 'E'
- Mediterranean Approaches bound on North by 043 degs North on South by 026 degs North and on West by 026 degs West.
- Proceed to a rendezvous in position 'A' 036 degs 00 mins North 011 degs 00 mins West and await escort reporting expected time of arrival in plain language to Admiral Gibraltar on 500 kc/s.
- Arrive in position 'A' between sunrise and noon G.M.T.
(6) Area 'F'
- The North and South Atlantic West of 026 degs West.
- Proceed to nearest of one of following points arriving between sunrise and 3 hours before sunset: W 043 degs 30 mins North 070 degs 00 mins West approach from a point 15 miles due East X 038 degs 20 mins North 074 degs 25 mins West approach from a point 047 degs 18 mins North 051 30 mins West on a course 270 degs Z 043 31 mins North 065 degs 05 mins West approach from point 042 degs 59 mins North 054 degs 28 mins West on a course 320 degs.
UNDERTAKING GIVEN BY CERTAIN GERMAN EMISSARIES TO THE ALLIED HIGH COMMANDS
It is agreeed by the German emissaries undersigned that the following German officers will arrive at a place and time designated by the Supreme Commander, Allied Expeditionary Force, and the Soviet High Command prepared, with planary powers, to execute a formal ratification on behalf of the German High Command of this act of Unconditional Surrender of the German armed forces.
- Chief of the High Command
- Commander-in-Chief of the Army
- Commander-in-Chief of the Navy
- Commander-in-Chief of the Air Forces.
Representing the German High Command.
DATED 0241 7th May 1945
Source: The University of Oklahoma College of Law, http://www.law.ou.edu/ushistory/germsurr.shtml
This article was published on 2 Jan 2009.