Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Lights inside the sub
Posted by: Mikko ()
Date: July 08, 2002 06:37AM

I can think of at least one situation where red or blue lights would be needed throughout the boat, that's during attacks at night. If the crew has to abandon the boat or get on the deck to operate the deck gun, they need to be ready for it.

If Das Boot is used as any kind of reference (should be accurate btw), they tended to use bright lights even at night when there was no enemy threat nearby, or when they needed good bright illumination in an emergency (when working to fix the boat and get it back on the surface at Gibraltar). In my understanding any boat would have to rig for red when the periscope is used at night or even dark, because the light could be seen far away via the top of the scope.

I don't know what the meaning of the blue light is. I know that in modern subs it's used in compartments where a partial night time lightning is required but red would be inconvenient, such as the sonar room on 688-class US subs. (Because of the periscope issue) I could imagine that it used to be a some kind of an attention light, just like someone mentioned, or maybe an indication of battle stations. I'm not sure if I remember correct, but I think it was switched in in Das Boot when the firing of the torpedoes was authorized.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Lights inside the sub lysergic 06/26/2002 06:53PM
Re: Lights inside the sub Leif... 06/27/2002 05:26PM
Re: Lights inside the sub George Roumbos 06/27/2002 07:32PM
Re: Lights inside the sub lysergic 06/27/2002 08:48PM
Re: Lights inside the sub Leif... 06/28/2002 04:41AM
Re: Lights inside the sub Mikko 07/08/2002 06:37AM
Re: Lights inside the sub ROBERT M. 09/08/2002 01:50AM
Re: Lights inside the sub Christopher Tarana 06/28/2002 12:08AM
Re: Lights inside the sub Scott 06/30/2002 07:10PM
Re: Lights inside the sub kosta 07/02/2002 04:18PM
Re: Lights inside the sub lysergic 07/02/2002 08:25PM
Re: Lights inside the sub jameskeagan 07/03/2002 10:18PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.