Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Type XXI hull instability=nonsense
Posted by: John Martin ()
Date: January 23, 2003 07:24AM

To U boat Net.

Subjectangry smileyXI hull instability-welding problems

I cant comment on the instability problems but the welding aspect is right up my
street.I asked a related question on steels and welding technique of which i have hopes of a suitable answer.

To cut to the chase,you only end up with serious instability problems if the hull is defective in some of the following areas-

1.Hull segments progressively out of alignment to the left or the right as the hull sections are assembled.
2.Drive machinery is not bedded correctly,prop shaft is off centre to centre line of engine.
3.Ballast tank venting sequences,pump fill/empty sequences are out of phase,wrong capacity pumps are fitted on any of the fill/emty lines,wrong diameter pipeing is fitted,etc,etc
4.Weld sequences i suspect are to DIN pressure vessel standards,in which case if your root run weld is started and the pre heat temperature is right,the welders work on clock sequence ie 12 -6,3-9 oclock etc.It is customary for a welder to complete the root run come hail,rain,500 lb bombs,whatever.We hate having to rework a root run!.If the root is correctly lapped,ie one segment of weld deposited ,the next is started 10mm back from the previous welds end run.The process is very slow as each pass has to be ground and the end feathered to accept new welds.Visual inspection of each run is vital and if there is a slag inclusion,it has to be ground out and reworked.
The net result of all this is the welds are sound and ultrasound or x ray inspection is only required when there are doubts as to the quality of the weld.

I hope this may help.

Cheer John Martin

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Type XXI hull instability??? John Schmidt 01/22/2003 08:34PM
Re: Type XXI hull instability=nonsense Rainer Bruns 01/23/2003 03:53AM
Re: Type XXI hull instability=nonsense John Martin 01/23/2003 07:24AM
Re: Type XXI hull instability=nonsense Rainer Bruns 01/23/2003 02:23PM
Re: Type XXI hull instability=nonsense John Martin 01/24/2003 08:11AM
Re: Type XXI hull instability=nonsense John Schmidt 01/23/2003 07:55PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.