WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs?
Posted by: Daniel Stern ()
Date: April 03, 2008 04:40PM

Hi Michael, Yves,

I agree it would be a Herculean task; I have wondered in the course of my own research how many other people have 'read' the same KTB I have and have gone through the time and expense to have it translated, as I soon shall. What I was perhaps envisioning (and keep in mind this is just an idea, or a dream) is a collaborative effort to see what KTBs have already been translated, in whole or in part, and find some way to make those translations available (free or otherwise) to armchair and professional researchers. Speaking only for myself, I would find such a resource invaluable; whether or not something like this will ever come to pass is another matter entirely.

I understand full well that individuals who have devoted considerable time and money to translate these documents would not necessarily want to give them away. I guess I am just wondering if making these more accessable, especially to non-German speakers, would't help to broaden interest in this topic. I am also wondering about a centralized place where researchers could self-publish (like via lulu.com, just as an example, not that I am recommending them per se) their translations and perhaps make a few dollars for themselves in the process (assuming, of course, this is allowable from a legal perspective).

Of course, I may be one of only a few people that feels this way...but I am hoping I'm wrong! I am interested to hear people's thoughts and opinions about this.

-Daniel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Daniel Stern 03/31/2008 02:55PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Yves D 04/02/2008 09:18PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Michael Lowrey 04/03/2008 10:58AM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Daniel Stern 04/03/2008 04:40PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Yves D 04/03/2008 09:05PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Daniel Stern 04/04/2008 02:57PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Michael Lowrey 04/12/2008 10:11AM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? ph0ebus 04/14/2008 08:27PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? Thomas K. 04/28/2008 08:50PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? kpp 04/29/2008 09:21PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? ph0ebus 05/01/2008 05:11PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? ph0ebus 08/12/2008 08:20PM
Re: Published Translations of WWI KTBs? kpp 08/19/2008 04:22PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.