WWI forum  
World War One discussions. 
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Sept 1917
Posted by: njo27 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 10:59AM

Hi,

I can add something to the HMS Stonecrop story - my Great Uncle Thomas John Osborne was one of the 10 survivors from the makeshift raft that was fashioned after the sinking. My understanding is that were insufficient life boats for the whole crew.

There is an article about the survivors in 'Danger Zone - The Story of The Queenstown Command', by E. Keble Chatterton - This centres on the role of Lieutnentant Smiles who was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for his efforts.

There is also a newspaper article about my Great Uncles funeral which reads;-

'A BRAVE SAILOR
---------------------
WEST HADDON LAD'S TERRIBLE EXPERIENCES
---------------------
FIVE DAYS ON A RAFT

The funeral of a brave West Haddon lad, Painter Tom Osborne, HMS Fisgard took place at West Haddon on Thursday.

Osborne died as the result of terrible exposure at sea. His vessel was torpedoed.
He gave up his place in one of the boats to a gunner, and for five days he and several companions were tossed about on a raft they fashioned out of odds and ends, at the mercy of the waves, without food and with ever diminishing hopes of being saved.

On a previous occasion Osborne had saved the life of a Commander. The terrible experiences on the raft broke down his constitution, and for many weeks prior to death he was in a naval hospital. Earlier in the war he had volunteered for special services to combat U-boats. He had recently passed the test for P.O. and had been recommended for an award for bravery and devotion to duty.

The body was brought to Long Buckby Station per rail. Twelve seamen in charge of the chief painter, Mr W.H Skergold, came at their own expense to attend the funeral and to carry their old mate to his last resting place. The coffin, borne on the shoulders of six sailors, was covered with the Union Jack. There were many beautiful floral tributes;-
One from the Captain and Officers HMS Stonecrop?; one from his mess mates; one from the ships company; one from the boy artificers HMS Fisgard; one from the painters, plumbers and blacksmiths; one from his shipmates of HMS Achilles?,
on which ship deceased previously served; one from the people of West Haddon; Colonel and Mrs Ainsworth; Mr and Mrs Webb and family; Edie and Alex Saye; Cis; Mrs Paul, E Wyatt, E Collins, L Kennell, T Clarke; T Malin and family; Cousins Lizzie and Annie; Dad, Mother, Brothers and Sisters; Aunt Lizzie and cousins; Mr and Mrs Collier; Aunt Mary; R and A Whitmore; Mates from the raft; T and E Palmer; Mrs Gare; Jack and Annie; etc.

Two brothers are in the Army, one recently having lost an arm. Rev. E. Bannerman conducted the service in the church and at the graveside; and the organist played the Dead March in "Saul".

Please note that I have added the ship names as they were not allowed by the censor at the time. I have his service record.

Hope that you find this interesting.

Nigel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Set 1917 maccad23 08/27/2009 01:58PM
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Set 1917 Michael Lowrey 08/27/2009 02:54PM
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Set 1917 Ron Young 08/27/2009 05:23PM
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Sept 1917 maccad23 08/27/2009 07:18PM
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Sept 1917 Ron Young 08/27/2009 07:46PM
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Sept 1917 njo27 12/16/2009 10:59AM
Re: Q Ship Stonecrop v U boat ? 17th Sept 1917 maccad23 12/17/2009 09:06PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.