General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Between Patrols
Posted by: Ken Dunn ()
Date: November 09, 2001 07:03PM

<HTML>Hi Cal and Frank,

There were a number of things that may have to be attended to while the boat was in port that could keep crewmembers from going on home leave.

For one thing, I think a trip to the doctor was required so the medical problems that could not be dealt with during the patrol could be looked after. For example, there were frequent skin problems from the lack of frequent showers and clean clothes and the other conditions on a U-boat during a patrol. There were frequent ear problems as a result of pressure changes caused by one thing or another, especially the schnorchel. Additionally there were various infections etc. that didn&#8217;t lend themselves to healing in the conditions present in a U-boat on patrol. Basically, anything that did not heal correctly while on patrol had to be treated and taken care of while the boat was in port in order to keep the men fit for the next patrol and this treatment sometimes took precedence over home leave. To make a long story short, some of the crew had to hang around for medical treatment instead of being able to go home.

Certain crewmembers had to report for various types of training while the boat was in port. New weapons, new equipment, new procedures, etc., all had to be learned in the time between patrols. Sometimes this took most of the crew most of the time the boat was in port. A promotion could mean new training (and possibly an assignment to a new boat) too.

If there is one thing that all military organizations through out history have excelled at it is interfering with your personal life, especially in time of war.

I think (but am not sure) that they tried to let at least half of the crew go on leave when the boat got back from a patrol but many times even this wasn&#8217;t possible. I know there were times when more than half of a crew was allowed leave and I know there were times when less than half of a crew was allowed leave.

I have also read that there were special trains allocated to taking U-boat crews back and forth during their shore leave from the French ports.

Another interesting tidbit is that the cologne issued to U-boat crews to cover up the stench that resulted from not being able to shower and change into clean clothes on a regular basis made a nice gift for the ladies in their lives. Additionally, I think some of the left over food stores went home with those lucky enough to go on leave on more than one occasion. U-boat crews had access to some food items that were impossible for their families to get and were permitted to take small quantities home from time to time although this may not have been an official policy.

As the war wore on, more and more of the crews had no homes to go back to.

I know little of the rest areas available to them but would be interested to hear about them.
I know as does everybody that ever served in a military organization that mail call was an important event. In the case of a crew returning from a patrol, their mail was generally waiting for them when they got back. Almost every soldier lives from mail call to mail call.

For a U-boat man a hot shower, clean clothes and just being outside in the fresh air must have been wonderful after a patrol. Peace and quiet and a clean place to sleep was probably way up there too.

Regards,

Ken Dunn</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Between Patrols CAL 11/07/2001 12:46PM
Re: Between Patrols Frank 11/09/2001 05:59PM
Re: Between Patrols Ken Dunn 11/09/2001 07:03PM
Re: Between Patrols Lawrence 11/09/2001 08:39PM
Re: Between Patrols CAL 11/09/2001 09:29PM
Re: Between Patrols Frank 11/10/2001 07:46AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.