General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Uboat in New York?
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: January 03, 2002 01:57PM

<HTML>Hey Les,

Perhaps your client's memory is roughly on target, but off in a few details...Germany sent large 'freighter' type Uboats to the US in WWI (not WWII) to call on Baltimore (not New York) and return with warstuffs (copper, gold, aluminum and the like). I believe one of these boats was named Deuthsland (forgive the spelling please) and about 5000 tons.

This happened twice that I am aware of, both times before the US entered WWI. Americans sympthateic to Germany's cause (recent emmigrants, German/Americans primarily) could donate or contribute to what was taken back by the sub. The subliminal message being sent to US political and naval authorities was two-fold: Germany has the capacity to wage submarine war along the US coast, and many Americans support Germany. It was sorta a 'think twice' before you enter the war thing...

It's hard to imagine that this could actually happen in 1916, but it did. That's only 14 years after the US navy pruchased its first sub, I think. Remarkable rate of progress...

Check your client's memory for which war and what port.

Jack

PS with the snow storm hitting NC today, I am home from work. What better thing to do that scope out Uboat.net???</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboat in New York? Les Hubert 12/31/2001 05:33PM
Re: Uboat in New York? Captain George W. Duffy 12/31/2001 07:20PM
Peter Sellers Nathan Greenfield 12/31/2001 07:39PM
Re: Uboat in New York? J.T. McDaniel 12/31/2001 11:35PM
Re: Uboat in New York? Joe 01/01/2002 05:52PM
Re: Uboat in New York? Les Hubert 01/03/2002 11:57AM
Re: Uboat in New York? Jeff McBride 01/04/2002 01:40AM
Re: Uboat in New York? Jack 01/03/2002 01:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.