General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Uboat in New York?
Posted by: Les Hubert ()
Date: December 31, 2001 05:33PM

<HTML>Hi guys,
A client of mine who is a bit of a military historian recounted a story he read in a war related magazine, involving a German Uboat docking at one of the commercial docks in New York during the closing months of WWll.
Apparently they were a young crew who were left to languish at sea. With little if any communication from headquarters, and a strong desire to see the great city before their possible demise, they removed any proof of German origin from the boat and crew and came into one of the commercial docks, claiming to be 'free Dutch'. They had a great tour of the city and it's tourist resources and then went back to sea with nobody being any the wiser.
In those days, I guess you could get away with such things, seeing how intelligence work wasn't what it is today. Can anyone verify this story? In asking my client about the stories source, he couldn't recall.

Thanks,
Les</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Uboat in New York? Les Hubert 12/31/2001 05:33PM
Re: Uboat in New York? Captain George W. Duffy 12/31/2001 07:20PM
Peter Sellers Nathan Greenfield 12/31/2001 07:39PM
Re: Uboat in New York? J.T. McDaniel 12/31/2001 11:35PM
Re: Uboat in New York? Joe 01/01/2002 05:52PM
Re: Uboat in New York? Les Hubert 01/03/2002 11:57AM
Re: Uboat in New York? Jeff McBride 01/04/2002 01:40AM
Re: Uboat in New York? Jack 01/03/2002 01:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.