General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic
Posted by: Robert Eno ()
Date: May 04, 2001 11:28AM

<HTML>Hello Rainer, Rod,

First Rainer: many thanks for your comments. Regarding the base at Narsarssuaq, I do have a written reference (a former U.S. Coast Guard Captain) about a U-boat monitoring the progress of that base and of Lord Haw, Haw\'s subsequent broadcast. I will be on the road for the next week, but will jot it down on this forum when I return in mid May.

I do agree with you however, that it is unlikely that a U-boat would even want to venture into Davis Strait, let alone Frobisher Bay. Makes no sense and would be extremely risky. I do know, however, that a U-boat had sunk a cargo vessel which was carrying 6000 tons of equipment destined for the airfields at Ft. Chimo and Frobisher Bay, off the coast of Labrador on August 27, 1942. This apparently caused some major setbacks in the construction program. I am still trying to find out the name of the ship and hopefully later on, the name of the U-boat that did the deed.

To Rod: yes, I have heard of that movie and more so, I had an argument with my boss one night (over some single malt scotch) about this alleged event. He was certain that a U-boat had penetrated Hudson Bay, captured Moosonee (a small community at the bottom of James Bay) and then took the train south to cause more mayhem. He swears it is true. The whole story is so fantastic that it boggles the mind how any discerning individual could buy it.

Such is the power and the allure of the mysterious and sinister U-boats.

Nevertheless, I do know for a fact, that U537 did set up a weather station at Martin Bay in northern Labrador, in 1943. I have a number of papers about it and of course, I viewed the file on U537 when I was at the U-boat Archive several years ago.

Many thanks again to Rainer and Rod for your comments.

Robert Eno</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Robert Eno 05/02/2001 09:21PM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Rainer Bruns 05/03/2001 11:43AM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Rod 05/03/2001 10:05PM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Rainer Bruns 05/03/2001 10:24PM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Rod 05/04/2001 01:42PM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Robert Eno 05/04/2001 11:28AM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Der Teddy Bär 05/06/2001 12:46AM
RE: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Capt. George W. Duffy 05/07/2001 02:39PM
Re: U-Boats in the Canadian Arctic Nathan Greenfield 12/11/2001 09:20PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.