General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: Markings on conning towers
Posted by: Tristan Gross ()
Date: January 10, 2008 11:39PM

Hi Paul,

It is interesting that you should mention this insignia on U353. I managed to get a copy of the interrogation report from the survivors of U353 - a version of which exists here: http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-353INT.htm

Under section VI. Details of "U 353"/ XIV Adoption and Badge - the report states that U 353 did not carry any insignia or badge.

"U 353" had been adopted by the 122nd Artillery Regiment stationed in Brittany. Römer had previously wanted his home town of Dessau to adopt her, but this could not be arranged. She carried no badge.

The photographs of U353 that I have are mostly from her trial period - she is seen sporting the UAK-Zeichen. I thought the adoption of a conning tower emblem only appeared after the completion of the first patrol. U353 was sunk on her first patrol which may explain why she had no insignia.

Regards,
Tristan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Markings on conning towers Tristan Gross 01/09/2008 03:45AM
Re: Markings on conning towers Vidart 01/09/2008 02:22PM
Re: Markings on conning towers Tristan Gross 01/10/2008 12:13AM
Re: Markings on conning towers paul tjader 01/10/2008 11:09AM
Re: Markings on conning towers Vidart 01/10/2008 07:21PM
Re: Markings on conning towers Tristan Gross 01/10/2008 11:39PM
Re: Markings on conning towers Ken Dunn 01/11/2008 03:49AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.