Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own risk winking smiley
Posted by: Daryl Carpenter ()
Date: January 08, 2002 12:32PM

<HTML>U-571 is a "film" starring almost no one you've heard of, directed by some guy, and lifted mostly from older, better films. The only reason for this $90 million mess is to prove that, in the words of Jonathan Mastow, "Das Boot was based on a lie". If the lie was that talented German directors should go to Hollywood, then that was already proven.
They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. It's another thing when you rip-off an older, better movie, re-assemble it with some "creative license", and end up with a total piece of crap. It's another thing when you denounce the movie you just ripped off, saying it's "based on a lie". But who cares, really? Mastow is a jerk.
Onwards to the movie, if I must. U-571 begins with an opening text about how the U-boats are winning the battle of the Atlantic and so on and so forth. The first thing we see is the obnoxiously lit control room of a German U-boat. Red lights flood the oversized room with little consideration for natural lighting, realism, or the art of filmaking. U-571 destroys a tanker in a ridiculous Hollywood explosion; a destroyer comes out of nowhere, blah blah yadda yadda...
So the next thing you know, without any tension or excitement, about a zillion depth charges explode three inches away from them. For no good reason the diesel engines explode in a ridiculous Hollywood explosion, killing the only two people onboard with any idea whatsoever about how to operate a diesel engine in even an amateurish manner. The eeevelllll (I need to make a point of that now) captain orders a re-supply boat to assist.
And now we end our obvious rip-off of "Das Boot" and move on to the obligatory Big Band/Leisure Time/Sailors in nice suits/Party/Dance/token female characters scene that we've seen in a million war movies, despite the fact that less than a million war movies have ever been made. As we find out, and will not care about, Lt. Tyler (played like a sticky note by Matthew Mcwhothehellcanspellhiisname) will not get command of the leaky, obsolete piece of 25-year old war-torn scrap metal S-33. Instead, he will have to be 1st Officer (Pitiful!) while the Captain (played like a block of wood by Bill Paxton) will remain in command.
As our "story" moves on, we're introduced to some obviously important guy (played like a section of soggy cardboard by Harvey Keitel) and some ensigns and whatnots (played like scarps of dirty sheet styrene by some guys you've never heard of). As we find out, Harvey Keitel is a "sea dog who wants some salt", a line that could be delivered with a straight face by a man who has cleaned a piano in the nude in a previous movie.
Also introduced is the token black cook (played like a slab of old ham by some guy) and some guy from "ER" who's supposed to be a Marine. While the characters weren't paying any attention, the ever-resourceful dockyard workers converted S-33 into a too perfect for it's own good replica of a "German supply submarine", which is actually a regular U-boat with an extra gun. This process probably included building an entirely new hull, conning tower, and deck. All in one week; imagine what it would be like if it weren't for Rosie the Riveter? She must have been tired after THIS job. An ever-observant crewmember remarks "that looks like a god-damned Nazi sub!" This begins the process of the viewer laughing whenever the word "Nazi" is used.
S-33 leaves port. We find out, from a decoded message, that U-571 is stranded in the middle of the Atlantic. In an obviously idiotic goof by the director, the intelligence report includes an excellent photo of the Enigma machine, one of the lamest "McGuffins" in movie history. I guess the French agent couldn't fit the thing in his coat pocket.
We're then presented with a bunch of sailors talking about what happens when a submarine goes too deep. One of them crack an egg to demonstrate what happens when a submarine exceeds it's crush depth.
Based on this conversation, we know the submarine is going to go too deep. No really, I think the director was trying to keep us in suspense on that one. In another scene, we see a sailor writing a love letter and look at a picture of his wife. I'll bet a fiver that that's the one that dies in the end. We're then presented with a horribly dull scene in which Lt. Tyler and his even-duller captain discuss why he can't be Captain or something useless like that to be rendered meaningless by the brainless events of the second hour of the movie. This is sort of like the first 45 minutes of Das Boot, except the actors have all the emotions of household appliances.
In case the audience is falling asleep, the movie takes us back to the German U-boat. They manage to get the diesel running for a few seconds, and it roars to life like a kid banging on a typewriter. The next thing you know, a boatload full of British survivors SNEAKS UP ON THEM AND ATTACKS OUT OF NOWHERE (did I get you excited) and asks to be taken prisoner. So what does out EEEVELLLL NAZI GASTAPO UNDERSEE-SS U-BOAT SEA KILLER Captain do? You guessed it, he orders them to be killed. Never saw that one coming! Meanwhile, the audience stares contentedly at the screen, satisfied by the results of the massacre, rendered idiotic about the Battle of the Atlantic.
So, it's finally time to take over the damn German U-boat. The crew of S-33 is SO brave, they disguise themselves in German uniforms, bring along a translator, and pack enough firepower to demolish downtown New York.
You seee... They're Americans, and everything that Americans do must be really brave and full of false heroics. Next thing you know, there's an incredibly exciting (not) scene of a raft full of sailors-turned-green beret approaching the U-boat. And approaching. And approaching. And all during the lamest fake storm ever on film, which is more like a pond during a mild shower with a 10-mph wind.
The scene mercifully ends when our "heroes" board the U-boat. The incompetent Germans fight back with the tenacity of a blind dyslexic with a BB gun, while the Americans score every hit. The Americans drop down the conning tower hatch one by one, are attacked by a half-dozen idiots with machine guns, who don't hit anything but get killed in the process. In one scene, reminiscent of the opening scene of "Saving Private Ryan", yet another idiotic German is shot about a dozen times from close range, which causes him to grunt and fall over, totally bloodless. War is hell.
Throughout the entire scene, not a single person is hit by a stray bullet, or appears to be disturbed by all the noise such a firefight would create. Realism! Authenticity! Historical Truth!
So you were wondering what happened to the token black guy? The Americans are loading the German POWs onto the S-33. Mr. Politically Correct asks one of the German submarines "what, you never seen a black man before." You know, it's nice that Mr. Mastow had the guts to take on an important subject like the Nazi persecution of non-Aryans in such a deft and subtle way. Take that, Speilberg! SUDDENLY ANOTHER GERMAN U-BOAT APPEARS OUT OF NOWHERE (surprised you again!) and blows up S-33, in what could only be a rather obvious case of "friendly fire".
It doesn't just blow up, it ESPLODES. Yes, esplodes. It goes beyond "ridiculous Hollywood explosion". Every male pyromaniac in the audience is probably in ecstasy. I mean it gets blowed up so good, it kills everyone except the token black guy. The camera zooms in on Tyler's face! Shock! Horror! Emotion! Futility of War! The captain, standing heroically on the bottom of a studio water tank, shouts something mockingly heroic to Tyler, sits there for a little while, and sinks like a rock. Ohhhh... Pass the tissues.
Now we come to an even dumber scene. You see, they can't let the Germans know they have the Enigma. Then why did they blow up their submarine? Anyway, this is the idiotic underwater dogfight that everyone brings up. Harvey Keitel gets two idiotic lines: "Where's the Christmas Tree!" (Camouflage for the bridge!) followed by the infamous "It's all in German!". No @!#$, Sherlock. By using the universal translator (this is Star Trek isn't it? Oh wait, they have the half-German guy onboard) they manage to dive the submarine simply by knowing that "Klar" means "Clear." At this point I was hoping the diesel induction would fail, everyone would drown, and end my misery.
No such luck. The crippled German submarine, which has taken a zillion close depth charges, hundreds of small-caliber gunshots, and several grenades, dives faster than even the original crew could make it. American ingenuity, made in Taiwan. So now the German supply boat launches two torpedoes at U-571, which miss by three millimeters or so. The Americans try to attack the other sub, but the torpedo tubes make a horrible noise, which is probably Wolfgang Petersen in agony. We know this scene is exciting because the music is someone banging on a drum very loudly and with increasing speed. Based on a crude sonar bearing, they blow up the supply sub in a ridiculous Hollywood explosion.
They surface again, and take aboard the captain of U-571 and the token black guy. The German guy is the only one who has any knowledge on how to operate the vessel, but because "Klar" means "Clear", he's totally useless to them. So they handcuff him to a bunk. Oh, did I mention the captain of U-571 is EEEVILLLL...?
Now we have about 20 minutes of useless scenes just to pad things out. We see the Americans repairing the smashed U-boat because they're magic and stuff. The captain of U-571 is eevilllll. He gets loose somehow, kills some useless character and injures someone totally pointless to the story. The token black man runs in and shouts "what do you think you're doing you Nazi sumbitch". I laugh once more. The Americans realize that the handcuff wasn't enough, so they chain him to the bunk next time. Oh, that'll really work.
So here's a scene in the Officer's mess, with Lt. Tyler and Harvey Keitel talking about something useless to the plot. The cramped mess of "Das Boot" is replaced here with an overlit, really cozy restaurant-style place with large, leather sofas, a beautifully crafted table and lots of pictures related to the U-boat war. I hear they hired the same production designer as "Das Boot", but I'm started to think they hired him based on his work in "Cabaret".
The crew is up in the conning tower (wait a minute, six on board, four up on the bridge... there's only two people running this whole operation!). They break out in an argument with the captain, (outranked solely by God) someone gets punched in the face (insert stock face-punching sound) and that's that. So really, it's okay to argue with your commanding officer in the middle of a major war.
Suddenly, OUT OF NOWHERE, COMES A PLANE! Surprised you again, didn't I? Oh, no it's a German Long-Range Reconnaissance Plane! No @!#$ Sherlock, it's a P-51 with floats attached, and really FREAKING huge fuel tanks to, uh, boot. But, woh is us, a, GASP! Nazi Destroyer (more giggles). Not just any Nazi Destroyer (Hmmm, Nazi. Has a nice ring to it. Nazi. Nazi Nazi. Nazi...). But some old Italian salvage ship with some fake guns attached and a big Z number painted on the side. By constantly showing the ship's flag, the idea that this is an enemy ship is beaten into the viewer's head.
The Ocean-Going Tugboat/Destroyer launches a motor launch towards U-571. The crew of the Destroyer obviously doesn't see the crew of U-571 manning the deck gun, and allow them to blow up their radio shack in a ridiculous Hollywood explosion. The Germans set phasers on miss, and consistently avoid hitting the 75-meter long stationary object barely 500 feet away. Yet another crash dive, and through the magic of shoddy model work, the U-boat barely avoids colliding with the Tugboat of Doom (tm).
Another lame depth charge attack follows. You can feel the tension and fear in the soundman's voice. Several times, in the blandest voice possible, he intones "maneuvering, splashes". "I see dead submariners". McWhatshisface
stands around and whispers into voicepipes. We get lots of external shots of rudders moving and propellers speeding up.
According to Keitel, who gets stiffer and stiffer as the movie goes on, a depth charge can knock out your teeth and snap your spine. But of course, can't do anything to a submarine. A gazillion depth charges go off roughly at once, all about two feet from the hull. This causes light bulbs to burst, and doors to pop open. This is, of course, all for the "awesome DTS sound" that will "blow you away" and leave you half-asleep and @#$%& off about blowing $3.50 on renting the damn thing.
"The pressure hull canna take much more of this!" shouts the chief engineer. "We need depth factor 200 in four minutes or we'll all dead!" responds the captain. "But if we go to 200 we'll a implode!" "I said "depth factor 200!" So they go to 200 meters (note: the depth gauge only goes to 200, so Mastow doesn't think he's ripping off Das Boot), and duh, disaster strikes. The rivets start popping off, the sub sinks to 260 meters for no good reason, magically rises to 200, and everythings back to normal. Wow, that made a ton of sense.
Now excuse me for rambling, I'm getting tired of writing about this piece of junk. But it's almost over. Almost over. The Evilll KL of U-571 tries to signal the destroyer overhead, and someone finally kills the evilllll SS-Nazi Gestapo Sea Killer Captain! Yay! Onward with the gratuitous stereotyping of our former enemies! Remember, although it is based off material written in reputable sources, Das Boot is based on a lie! I am Johnathan Mastow, and you will bow to me! Nazis, all of them! I am rich bastard American brain-washer, believe everything I say! Mwahha-haha-ha!
And now for the inevitable Tale of Two Cities- good of the many outweighs the good of the few type mock heroic ending. This time our sacrifice is some whiny ensign who's really a hero or something like that. Lt. Tyler orders our asking-for-it back to the stern torpedo room bilge to find the contrivly (is that a real word?)-placed handle that activates the stern torpedo tube compressed air thingy or such nonsense. You see, they're gonna blow up the German destroyer, because it looks cool when you do. And if they don't, they'll be tortured by the SS and Gestapo, oh my!
So our worthless sacrifice (I mean, it's a vulnerable destoryer in the middle of the atlantic without any protection and no radio, but still....) goes off to activate the torpedo tube. Some @!#$ back in Kiel put the compressed air starter in the bilge. He struggles for what feels like an eternity, at one point loosing his breathing device. This moron, who we're supposed to feel sympathy for, struggles for two whole minutes trying to get it back on. Finally, he pulls the handle, the diesel engines turn on (twenty meters underwater!) and they fire the torpedo. Almost....Over. The destroyer REALLY ESPLODES! KABOOM! POWWEY! UP IN FLAMES! DECK BLOWS UP! WHOLE SHIP GOES BOOM! 10,000 TONS OF GUNPOWDER GOES UP! SINKS IN SECONDS!
So we find out that our little hero (sniff..sniff) died. So please, don't try to hold your breath for six minutes. The token black man says something idiotic that's supposed to be moving, and the music goes all cheesy on us. Oh, during the battle a six-inch shell hit U-571. To be honest, I don't know whether the shell or the exploding destroyer did them in. They decide to pre-emptively end the movie. The fatally wounded captain watches as his bombed out submarine slowly sinks into the oily water, the token black guy runs over to help, Lt Tyler collapses as blood runs out his mouth, camera pans out, token black guy stares in horror, fade to black.
No actually, they all crowd into the goofiest looking dingy you've ever seen, and start to row(!) this oversized
condom something like a thousand miles to shore. An incredibly fake-looking CGI PBY Catalina flies overhead, with huge "US NAVY" markings on the wings, ending our misery. I would have been just as happy if a fake-looking CGI Fw. 200
flew overhead, with "NAUGHTY NAZIS" written in huge letters on the wings, and dropped a stick of depth charges on them. But not in an American movie, I guess.
My experience with this movie is certainly unusual. Back in August, I rented this movie called "Threads" from the public library. It was this obscure BBC TV movie from the eighties about the effects of nuclear war, made on a rather
tight budget. What I saw was so graphic, realistic and horrifying, it still sticks with me. At first it had little effect on me.
Days later, I would wake up in the middle of the night, sweating, in a panic, afraid that the bombs would drop, that
everyone I knew would die, and that in ten years, the human race would be reduced to mutated savagery.
Days after I saw U-571, I woke up in the middle of the night, sweating, in a panic, afraid that Johnathan
Mastow would make even more crappy submarine movies, that he would say that Das Boot was based on a lie, and that
ten years from now he would be the most well-paid director in Hollywood. And yes, I'm joking about this paragraph. But
not the one about "Threads".
Oh, and John Bon Jovi was in this mess somewhere. Playing a war correspondent, I think. No, I didn't say
that. I didn't say that....</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own risk winking smiley Daryl Carpenter 01/08/2002 12:32PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Saskia 01/08/2002 09:33PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris frankg 01/08/2002 11:32PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris frankg 01/25/2002 06:04AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Io Chrysafidou 01/11/2002 06:39PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris J.T. McDaniel 01/11/2002 11:20PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Don Reed 01/12/2002 11:14PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris George Roumbos 01/09/2002 08:54AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 07:35PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris George Roumbos 08/02/2002 08:19PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Steve Roberts 01/09/2002 11:43AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris james stewart 01/14/2002 12:05AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris frankg 01/14/2002 07:14PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Dietzsch 01/13/2002 09:41AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris mike 01/14/2002 03:56AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Dietzsch 01/20/2002 11:22AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Benoit Douville 01/21/2002 10:35PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 07:48PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 07:41PM
Ultimate U-571 Bashing by sub-critics!!! (read at W. Frank 01/14/2002 04:59AM
Ultimate U-571 Bashing by sub-critics!!! (read at W. Frank 01/14/2002 05:02AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris George Parastatidis 01/23/2002 10:50PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris J.T. McDaniel 01/24/2002 01:50AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris frankg 01/25/2002 06:28AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris mike o 01/29/2002 10:52AM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris frankg 01/30/2002 10:23PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris I Stapley 02/01/2002 11:25AM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING nobody of any importance 02/02/2002 05:34AM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING poor chap kosta 02/02/2002 02:29PM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING poor chap james Stewart 02/03/2002 11:45PM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING poor chap ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 08:10PM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING not yank 02/08/2002 11:43AM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 08:14PM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING mike.o. 02/08/2002 12:15PM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING J.T. McDaniel 02/09/2002 12:24AM
Re: The Ultimate YANK BASHING ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 09:09PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris Bill forsythe 02/14/2002 04:04PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris vic diehl 02/18/2002 05:33PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris ROBERT M. 08/02/2002 08:21PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own ris I Stapley 03/13/2002 04:11PM
Re: The Ultimate U-571 Bashing!!! (read at own risk winking smiley asong 09/14/2023 11:48PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.