Italian submarines in World War Two

Argo (AO, I.26)

Argo (USMM)

TypeOcean going 
ClassArgo (11) 
Laid down 15 Oct 1931 Cantieri Riuniti dell'Adriatico, Monfalcone
Launched24 Nov 1936
Commissioned31 Aug 1937
End service
Loss date11 Sep 1943
Loss position45° 45'N, 13° 33'E
History While undergoing a refit she was scuttled at Montfalcone on 11th September 1943 to prevent her being captured by the Germans.


CommanderDate fromDate toCommand notes
T.V. Alberto Crepas31 May 194031 Jan 1942
S.T.V. Guido Dall'Ostro1 Feb 19423 Mar 1942
C.C. Giulio Contreas4 Mar 194216 May 1942
T.V. Pasquale Gigli15 May 194214 May 1943
T.V. Arcangelo Giliberti8 May 194311 Sep 1943

Ships hit

DateCommanderShip hitTypeGRTNat.Loss type
1.1 Dec 1940T.V. Alberto CrepasHMCS SaguenayDestroyer1,337CanadianDamaged
2.5 Dec 1940T.V. Alberto CrepasSilverpineCargo ship5,066BritishSunk
3.12 Nov 1942T.V. Pasquale GigliHMS TynwaldAuxiliary antiaircraft ship2,376BritishSunk

Patrols and events

 CommanderDateTimePortArr. dateArr. timeArr. portMilesDescription
Crepas, Alberto17 Jun 19400645La Spezia17 Jun 19401700La Spezia75,6Exercises after long refit.

Crepas, Alberto21 Jun 19400532La Spezia21 Jun 19401410La Spezia27,5Exercises.

Crepas, Alberto22 Jun 19401420La Spezia22 Jun 19402053Savona72,8Passage La Spezia-Savona.

Crepas, Alberto23 Jun 19401410Savona23 Jun 19402145La Spezia72,8Passage Savona-La Spezia.

Crepas, Alberto26 Jun 19402235La Spezia27 Jun 19402035La Maddalena228Passage La Spezia-La Maddalena with the submarines Neghelli and Scirè.

1Crepas, Alberto10 Jul 19400050La Maddalena12 Jul 19400952La Maddalena309,6Patrolled in position 310° - Point Asinara Light (Sardinia) - 80 miles. She, was part of a barrage line, 15 miles apart with Iride, Scirè and Diaspro.

Crepas, Alberto27 Jul 19401343La Maddalena27 Jul 19402030La Maddalena41,8Hydrophone watch.

2Crepas, Alberto31 Jul 19402225La Maddalena1 Aug 19401518Cagliari175,6Sailed with Scirè and Neghelli for a patrol in 37°40'N, 06°20'E. Made a brief stop at Cagliari, to pick up her sailing orders before proceeding for patrol.

2bCrepas, Alberto1 Aug 19401542Cagliari10 Aug 19402237La Maddalena1167Patrolled south of the Balearic Islands in position 37°49'N, 06°20'E. Part of a barrage line involving six other boats: Scirè, Neghelli, Turchese, Medusa, Axum, and Diaspro. MARICOSOM had ordered a screen on two lines (three and four boats respectively) north of Cape Bougaroni (06°20’ E meridian). The two lines were 10 miles apart and each submarine was positioned 20 miles from the next one. The second day into the mission, Medusa had to return to base and was later replaced by Manara. Uneventful.

Crepas, Alberto23 Aug 19401330La Maddalena24 Aug 19400930La Spezia41,8Passage La Maddalena-La Spezia on hydrophone watch, then refit.

Crepas, Alberto23 Sep 19400835La Spezia23 Sep 19401630La Spezia42Trials after refit.

Crepas, Alberto26 Sep 19400805La Spezia26 Sep 19401700La Spezia40Trials after refit.

Crepas, Alberto28 Sep 19400800La Spezia28 Sep 19401620La Spezia31Trials after refit.

3Crepas, Alberto2 Oct 19401400La Spezia24 Oct 19401320Bordeaux3038Passage from La Spezia to Bordeaux. Passed Gibraltar on 8th October. Patrolled in area between 36°00'N and 36°30'N, and between 09°04'W and 09°42'W. The submarine experienced defects in two forward tubes and one stern tube. Escorted in by M-9, M-13 and M-21.
  12 Oct 19400940
0800 (e)

(e) 36° 50'N, 10° 00'W
(0) 260° - Cape St. Vincent - 50 miles.
At 0846 hours, a smoke was observed. At 0900 hours, the submarine dived and recognised it as a 4,000-ton armed vessel on a 180° course. At 0940 hours, a single torpedo (533mm, type W) was fired from a bow tube at a distance of 600 metres. It missed. This was the armed trawler HMT Cape Barracouta who reported the attack. Bad weather prevented the submarine from a surface action.
  12 Oct 19401434-154536° 00'N, 9° 30'W
(0) Approximately.
At 1434 hours, the Portuguese trawler Estrella Do Norte (325 GRT, built 1919) was ordered to stop, but was allowed to proceed after examination.

4Crepas, Alberto22 Nov 19401130Bordeaux12 Dec 19401900Le Verdon3075Patrolled in the Atlantic between 53°20'N and 54°20'N, and between 17°00'W and 20°00'W.
  1 Dec 19400449
0355 (e)
54° 05'N, 16° 55'W
(e) 54° 40'N, 15° 20'W
Argo was proceeding on the surface when, at 0449 hours, the officer of the watch sighted a shadow which was at first taken for a submarine. She took an intercepting course and when it was realised that it was a destroyer, a single torpedo (533mm) was fired from a bow tube at distance of 600 metres and scored a hit after 40 seconds. The submarine turned and tried to finish her off with a stern shot (450mm), but missed. A second stern shot (533mm) followed and was claimed to have hit (it had not). This was the destroyer HMCS Saguenay. With HMS Highlander, she had been escorting convoy HG.47 but had temporarily lost contact with the convoy. She had sighted the submarine at 800 yards and fired two rounds which missed before the torpedo hit the forward part on the port side. Twenty-one were killed. At 0700 hours, HMS Highlander arrived on the scene to assist her and took off five officers and eighty-five ratings. The remaining crew (five officers and fifty-three ratings) managed to bring Saguenay to port stern first. The tugs Englishman, Salvonia [she was later diverted to assist the armed merchant cruiser HMS Forfar] and Schelde, and the A/S trawlers HMT Foxtrot, HMT Stella Polaris and HMT Sphene were sailed to her assistance. She managed to reach Barrow in Furness towed by the tug Schelde at 1615 hours on 5th December.
  2 Dec 1940061054° 53'N, 18° 28'WAt 0610 hours, the sound of gunfire was heard followed by what appeared to be a torpedo hit at a distance of 4,000 metres. Possibly the British Dunsley (3,862 GRT, built 1929) from convoy HX.90, damaged by gunfire at 0606 hours in 54°41' N, 18°41' W by U-47 (KK Günther Prien).
  2 Dec 19400825
0932-1350 (e)
54° 36'N, 18° 26'W
(e) 54° 37'N, 18° 26'W
At 0800 hours, a small steamer or perhaps a convoy escort was observed, possibly collecting survivors. The submarine stopped its diesels and proceeded on its electric motors to avoid being heard. At 0825 hours, the submarine fired a torpedo (533mm) from no.4 tube at a range of 500 metres, but it appeared to veer to the right and missed. The submarine dived to a depth of 80 metres. At 0919 hours, "Hastig" was heard (sic, ASDIC), immediately followed by depth charges. From 0912 hours to 1437 hours, Argo was subjected to a systematic hunt by two destroyers and counted 96 depth charges, but suffered practically no damage. At 2045 hours, the submarine surfaced with the gun crew at action station, but the horizon was empty. The target had been the destroyer HMCS St. Laurent and together with HMS Viscount, they had hunted the submarine dropping 81 depth charges. HMCS St. Laurent had indeed picked up survivors from Conch and was looking for those of the armer merchant cruiser HMS Forfar when the attack occurred. Although both destroyer captains doubted the result of their attacks, the U-boat Assessment Committee had concluded the U-boat "probably sunk".
  4 Dec 1940125554° 00'N, 18° 00'W
(0) Very approximately.
At 1255 hours, a Sunderland aircraft was sighted at 2,000 metres. Argo fired six pans of machine gun rounds before diving to a depth of 60 metres. No explosions were reported.
  5 Dec 19400339
0220 (e)
54° 14'N, 18° 08'W
(e) 54° 00'N, 17° 30'W
(0) Z
At 0339 hours, the officer of the watch suddenly sighted a dark shape. A torpedo was immediately fired at a distance of 500 metres at a 12,000-ton two-funnel vessel. The torpedo hit after 35 seconds under the first funnel. A second explosion followed, attributed to a boiler and she sank. This was the steamer Silverpine (5,066 GRT, built 1924) in ballast and detached from convoy OB.252 bound from Glasgow to New York. Thirty-six were killed. Nineteen survivors were picked up by HMS Harvester at 0900 hours in 57°00' N, 17°30' W. The submarine was later hunted by HMS Harvester. Starting at 0412 hours, Argo reported three patterns of eight depth charges each.
  11 Dec 19401545
(0) ?
A big wave covered the bridge and carried over the First Officer T.V. Alessandro de Santis. The submarine turned back and closed to about 20 metres from the unfortunate officer. Sotto Capo Cannoniere [Petty Officer (Gunner)] Lorenzo Ciapetti bravely offered to jump in the water to reach him with a life saver. He closed to about 8-10 metres before De Santis disappeared and was no longer seen. Ciapetti was recovered and the submarine resumed course. For his bravery, Lorenzo Ciapetti was awarded the Medaglia d'Argento al valore militare (Silver Medal).

Crepas, Alberto25 Jan 1941Le Verdon?25 Jan 1941Date?Le Verdon?According to the KTB of 2.MSFL, Argo made a sortie on this date, escorted by M-12 and M-21. Italian documents do not show such a sortie. She may have been mistaken for Dandolo who sailed on that day.

Crepas, Alberto21 Feb 19411508Bordeaux21 Feb 19411950Le Verdon47Passage Bordeaux-Le Verdon.

Crepas, Alberto22 Feb 19411502Bordeaux22 Feb 19411745Le Verdon10Trials.

Crepas, Alberto23 Feb 19411200Le Verdon24 Feb 19410030La Pallice62Passage Le Verdon-La Pallice with the submarine Brin escorted by the German minesweepers M-2, M-6 and M-21 and Sperrbrecher 16.

Crepas, Alberto25 Feb 19410840La Pallice25 Feb 19411653La Pallice53Exercises.

5Crepas, Alberto28 Feb 19411705La Pallice30 Mar 19411142Bordeaux4270Sailed for patrol between 59°30'N and 53°00'N, and between 13°00'W and 25°00'W. Then went into dry-dock for long refit.
  1 Mar 1941130045° 55'N, 8° 30'WAt 1300 hours, an unidentified aircraft was sighted at 6,000 metres and circled the submarine as close as 1,000 metres. Argo made the recognition signal but was not answered. The aircraft disappeared and the submarine dived.
  5 Mar 1941140047° 10'N, 11° 40'WAt 1400 hours, a submarine of the BIANCHI class was observed on 120° course. Argo turned away.
  7 Mar 19411400
1301 (e)
53° 35'N, 16° 50'W
(e) 53° 20'N, 18° 50'W
At 1400 hours, an aircraft was sighted at 6,000 metres. When it had closed at 1,500 metres, Argo made a recognition signal, receiving the correct counter signal. At a range of 800 metres, the aircraft was identified as a Sunderland and the submarine opened fire with her machine guns. Argo managed to keep the aircraft at bay until she dived at 1415 hours. The aircraft was Sunderland 'H' of 210 Squadron and did not carry out an attack. The presence of HMS Taku in the area probably inhibited the pilot from pressing home an attack.
  10 Mar 1941183057° 37'N, 23° 55'WAt 1830 hours, an antisubmarine vessel was sighted at 4,000 metres, the submarine dived and was not detected.
  11 Mar 1941122057° 15'N, 24° 36'WAt 1220 hours, a 4-5,000-ton vessel was sighted at 6-7,000 metres on a 060° course. The submarine maneuvered around it intending to attack in the evening, but at 1355 hours lost contact.
  27 Mar 1941130047° 20'N, 9° 20'WAt 1300 hours, an aircraft was sighted coming from the south. When the range had dropped to 1,000 metres, the submarine made the recognition signal which was not answered. At a distance of 800 metres, it was recognised as a Sunderland and two rounds were fired and the aircraft disappeared to the north. T.V. Crepas was not satisfied of his antiaircraft armament of two Breda machine guns and suggested that it must be increased to four.

6Crepas, Alberto19 May 19411345Bordeaux14 Jun 19411045Bordeaux3367Patrolled off Portugal and west of the Strait of Gibraltar between 35°40'N and 36°20'N, and between 07°40'E and 06°30'W.
  20 May 1941151044° 18'N, 3° 19'W1510 hours, a German bomber was sighted and recognition signals exchanged.
  21 May 1941172144° 28'N, 8° 15'WAt 1721 hours, an aircraft was sighted at 4,000 metres and came as close as 2,000 meters. It did not respond to recognition signals and flew away in a southerly direction.
  27 May 1941010035° 45'N, 8° 56'WAt 2300 hours on 26th March, Argo was informed by BETASOM (signal of 2215/26) of a battleship, an aircraft carrier and a cruiser sighted at 1600 hours in Italian Grid 0326/22 [Force H], probably proceeding to Gibraltar. Argo, Marconi, Veniero and Mocenigo were ordered to intercept. At 0100 hours, an illuminated vessel was seen on a 200° course. It was apparently neutral and the submarine let her go.
  29 May 19411630+35° 58'N, 6° 48'W
(0) Italian Grid 1510/66.
The submarine heard H.E. at 1630 hours and shortly after sighted a convoy of ten steamers, escorted by three destroyers, steering 240°. The submarine surfaced at 1740 hours and made an enemy report. One diesel had broken down and Argo could not maintain contact.
  30 May 19410730-225235° 58'N, 6° 48'W
(0) Approximately.
From 0730 to 2252 hours, the submarine was subjected to a systematic hunt and counted 91 depth charge explosions. However, Argo was undamaged and surfaced at 2330 hours and escaped to the westward.
  31 May 19411230-154635° 58'N, 6° 48'W
(0) Approximately.
From 1230 to 1546 hours, the submarine was subjected to a systematic hunt by three vessels and counted fifteen depth charge explosions. However, Argo was undamaged.
  4 Jun 1941041536° 32'N, 8° 00'WAt 2310 on 3rd June, the submarine received orders from BETASOM (1950/3) to move to Grid 7562/32 for a period of 48 hours. At 0415 hours, an enemy warship was sighted and perhaps two more. The submarine dived to avoid detection. At 2350 hours on the 5th, the submarine received a signal from BETASOM reporting a convoy at 1830 hours in Grid 8511/11, course 090°, 8 knots. She was ordered to intercept at 1600 hours on the 6th in Grid 8562/13.
  6 Jun 1941075037° 10'N, 9° 25'WAt 0750 hours, a submarine was sighted but she apparently took avoiding action. Between 1255 and 1800 hours, Argo reported being hunted and hearing fifteen depth charges.
  7 Jun 1941123037° 11'N, 10° 22'WAt 1230 hours, a steamer was observed to have sailed from Lisbon and taken a 220° course. This proved to be the Brazilian Bagé (8,235 GRT, built 1912) and she was left alone.
  8 Jun 19411540
(0) Off Lisbon.
At 1540 hours, the submarine was hunted and dived to 60 metres. Nine explosions were heard and Argo went to 80 metres. Four explosions followed at 1630 hours and two more at 1700 hours.
  11 Jun 1941184543° 30'N, 10° 45'WAt 1845 hours, two corvettes were sighted but avoided.
  12 Jun 1941150044° 10'N, 8° 20'WAn unidentified aircraft attempted an attack but was repulsed with the submarine expending four magazines of machine gun rounds.

Crepas, Alberto12 Sep 19410905Bordeaux12 Sep 19411330Le VerdonPassage Bordeaux-Le Verdon.

Crepas, Alberto12 Sep 19411400Le Verdon12 Sep 19411650Le VerdonGyrocompass tests.

Crepas, Alberto13 Sep 19410900Le Verdon13 Sep 19411710La PalliceDiving tests at Le Pertuis d'Antioche. At a depth of 20 metres water infiltration was observed that could not be controlled. The submarine surfaced and a fuel leak was also seen. The submarine proceeded to La Pallice to carry out repairs.

Crepas, Alberto15 Sep 19410800La Pallice15 Sep 19411755La PalliceDiving tests to 40 metres. The infiltrations were verified to have stopped.

7Crepas, Alberto16 Sep 19410905La Pallice24 Sep 19411600Bordeaux1895Sailed from Le Verdon for Cagliari. At 1000 hours she had reached in 39°12'N, 13°00'W and dived and several defects were noted including the gyrocompass. The submarine had to navigate with an ordinary compass and At 2200 hours surfaced. T.V. Crepas took the decision to turn back [mileage since Bordeaux on 12th September]. She was under repairs from 25th September to 7th October.

Crepas, Alberto8 Oct 19410830Bordeaux10 Oct 1941La PallicePassage Bordeaux-La Pallice.

8Crepas, Alberto11 Oct 19411815La Pallice24 Oct 19411230Cagliari2399Passage La Pallice to Cagliari. Passed Gibraltar on 20th October 1941. Sighted only neutral vessels.
  13 Oct 19411030
0939 (e)
45° 32'N, 8° 08'W
(e) 45° 48'N, 8° 07'W
At 1030 hours, Argo came under attack by a Catalina aircraft. This was actually Hudson 'I' (AM553) of 233 Squadron piloted by Flying Officer Haigh. One bomb was dropped but missed the submarine by 100 metres. The submarine remained on the surface firing 51 100mm rounds and 478 13.2mm rounds to keep the aircraft at bay. Three more bombs were dropped but missed the submarine's bow by 50 metres. At 1330 hours, the aircraft finally flew away and the submarine submerged. BETASOM requested from the BdU that aircraft cover be provided and two Me 110 were promised, but finally did not take off although a German U-boat was sent to her assistance.
  20 Oct 19410255
(0) 153° - Malabata - 6 miles.
At 0255 hours, a submarine chaser was sighted. The submarine submerged and crossed the Strait of Gibraltar without further incidents.

Crepas, Alberto28 Oct 19410830Cagliari29 Oct 19411130Naples285Passage Cagliari-Naples for long refit.

Dall'Ostro, Guido1 Feb 1942Naples3 Mar 1942NaplesRefit.

Contreas, Giulio2 Mar 19420924Naples2 Mar 19421300Naples16Trials.

Contreas, Giulio6 Mar 19420900Naples7 Mar 19421725Naples46Trials.

Contreas, Giulio8 Mar 19420800Naples8 Mar 19421615Naples26Trials.

Contreas, Giulio9 Mar 19421215Naples9 Mar 19421905Naples41,9Trials.

Contreas, Giulio17 Mar 19420728Naples17 Mar 19421655Naples49Exercises.

Contreas, Giulio24 Mar 19420725Naples24 Mar 19421746Naples51Exercises.

Contreas, Giulio26 Mar 19420735Naples26 Mar 19421849Naples53,5Exercises.

Contreas, Giulio28 Mar 19421306Naples28 Mar 19421852Naples44,5Exercises.

Contreas, Giulio29 Mar 19421500Naples29 Mar 19421903Naples32,5Exercises.

Contreas, Giulio1 Apr 19421835Naples1 Apr 19422225Naples37Exercises.

9Contreas, Giulio2 Apr 19421955Naples22 Apr 19422305Cagliari1796,5Patrolled between 36°20'N and 36°40'N, and between 01°40'W and 00°40'E, southeast of Cape de Gata, southeast of Cape Palos, West of Cape Falcon to attack traffic to and from Gibraltar. On 13th April, was ordered in Grids 6366 and 4566. One of the longest Mediterranean patrol for an Italian submarine.
  10 Apr 1942060536° 39'N, 0° 40'EAt 0605 hours, a cruiser or large destroyer was sighted at 3,000 metres. The submarine maneuvered to pass ahead of the enemy vessel to fire the stern tubes at less than 1,000 meters, but C.C. Contreas believed he had been detected and went down to 120 meters. No counterattack followed.
  15 Apr 19420224At 0224 hours, the Portuguese schooner Pádua (665 GRT, built 1925) was sighted at 1,000 metres.
  19 Apr 1942131036° 04'N, 1° 50'WAt 1310 hours, an enemy destroyer was sighted at 6,000 metres and the submarine dived.
  20 Apr 19420800At 0800 hours, two small French steamers were sighted at a distance of 10,000 metres.
  21 Apr 19421910At 1910 hours, a vessel was sighted and the submarine was in a favourable position and dived to the attack. This was the French ship Djebel Nador (3,168 GRT, built 1938) and the attack was aborted.

Contreas, Giulio13 May 19420800Cagliari13 May 19421500Cagliari22Trials.

Gigli, Pasquale17 May 19420700Cagliari17 May 19421208Cagliari25Trials.

10Gigli, Pasquale20 May 19421800Cagliari30 May 19421100Cagliari1165Patrolled area between 37°20'N and 37°40'N, and between 02°20'E and 03°00'E, northwest of Cap Caxine (Algeria) to attack Malta traffic. On 28th May was ordered to move 50 miles east and 10 miles north. Sustained three aerial attacks and was badly damaged.
  27 May 1942235037° 40'N, 2° 10'E
(e) 37° 38'N, 2° 05'E
At 2350 hours, a lookout spotted an aircraft making a run from the stern under the moonlight. Four depth charges straddled the submarine, one actually hitting the forward port hydroplane, and injuring one man in the forward torpedo room. The torpedo tube caps had been opened and three torpedoes had to be ejected. The submarine remained on the surface firing off its antiaircraft machine guns and 19 100mm rounds at the aircraft identified as a Sunderland, which now circled at a distance of 1,000 to 1,500 metres. This was actually Catalina 'C' (AJ162) of 202 Squadron based at Gibraltar and piloted by Flight Lieutenant R.Y. Powell. It had detected the submarine by radar at 6-7 miles and sighted the submarine at 300 yards, and identifying at as of the Italian BALILLA class. It had strafed the submarine releasing eight depth charges from a height of only 50 feet.
  28 May 19421423
1415-1642 (e)
37° 46'N, 2° 47'E
(e) 37° 59'N, 2° 08'E
At 1355 hours, an aircraft was sighted coming from the stern at a distance of 6,000 metres. T.V. Gigli elected to fight on the surface. This was Sunderland "R" of 10 Squadron (RAAF) piloted by Flight Lieutenant H.G. Pockley. At 1423 hours, it dropped a salvo of four depth charges from a height of 50 metres and strafed the submarine. The submarine was near-missed. The aircraft came for a second attack and at 1427 hours dropped another four depth charges (others failed to release) and was met by heavy flak, it took several hits but suffered minor damages. In all Argo fired 17 rounds of 100mm and 1,200 round of 13.2mm but a depth charge lodged in the bow section but failed to explode. It prevented the submarine from diving from fear it would detonate and she made an SOS. The Sunderland came for a third attack and dropped another three depth charges. At 1830 hours, the Sunderland left the scene and was replaced by Hudson 'V' of 233 Squadron.
  28 May 19421820
1841 (e)
37° 55'N, 3° 30'E
(e) 38° 09'N, 3° 27'E
(0) Approximately.
At 1820 hours, an aircraft attacked Argo with four depth charges. This was Hudson "V" (V9168) of 233 Squadron, piloted by Flying Officer Paisey. The charges failed astern. The submarine was strafed but maintained heavy antiaircraft fire. She was believed to have been damaged and the light cruiser HMS Charybdis and the destroyers HMS Westcott and HMS Wrestler were sailed from Gibraltar at 2000 hours on the 28th but failed to locate her.
  30 May 19421030
(0) Anchored at buoy off entrance of Cagliari.
Argo had anchored at 0715 hours off Cagliari as she had been told not to enter the habour because of an unexploded bomb. At 1030 hours, the submarine was visited by Admiral Legnani and Gruppo commander C.F.Criscuolo who congratulated the crew for their escape.

Gigli, Pasquale8 Jun 19420737Cagliari8 Jun 19421230Cagliari0Gyrocompass tests.

Gigli, Pasquale10 Jun 19421803Cagliari11 Jun 19422000Naples268Passage Cagliari-Naples for refit, escorted by the torpedo boat Cosenz.

Gigli, Pasquale18 Aug 19420903Naples18 Aug 19421532Naples27Trials.

Gigli, Pasquale23 Aug 19420810Naples23 Aug 19421249Naples14Trials and torpedo firing exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale24 Aug 19421625Naples24 Aug 19422310Naples1417,9Simulated torpedo firing exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale26 Aug 19421524Naples26 Aug 19421804Naples26,5Trials.

Gigli, Pasquale28 Aug 19421103Naples29 Aug 19421829La Spezia335,2Passage Naples-La Spezia.

Gigli, Pasquale2 Sep 19421101La Spezia2 Sep 19421853La Spezia15,3Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale3 Sep 19420905La Spezia3 Sep 19421748La Spezia17,5Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale4 Sep 19420840La Spezia4 Sep 19421351La Spezia19,8Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale5 Sep 19420812La Spezia5 Sep 19421346La Spezia12,6Hydrophone trials.

Gigli, Pasquale8 Sep 19420739La Spezia8 Sep 19421720La Spezia47,5Radiogoniometry test and hydrophone trials.

Gigli, Pasquale9 Sep 19420851La Spezia9 Sep 19421305La Spezia5,4Gyrocompass tests.

Gigli, Pasquale10 Sep 19422149La Spezia12 Sep 19420748Cagliari351Passage La Spezia-Cagliari.

11Gigli, Pasquale13 Sep 19421709Cagliari28 Sep 19421158Cagliari1320,5Sailed with Alabastro via (1) Point C (2) 37°08'N, 04°10'E (3) 37°08'N, 02°40'E for a patrol off Algiers between 37°00'N and 37°30'N, and between 02°00'E and 02°20'E.
  14 Sep 1942141937° 30'N, 5° 14'EAt 1419 hours, Argo sighted a submarine believed to be Alabastro who did not return from patrol.
  14 Sep 1942161037° 24'N, 4° 58'EAt 1610 hours, Argo sighted a Sunderland and crash-dived. This was probably the same which attacked Alabastro a few minutes later.
  14 Sep 1942200037° 21'N, 4° 50'EAt 2000 hours, an illuminated vessel was sighted proceeding to Algeria. It was probably a Vichy ship and was left alone.
  15 Sep 1942050237° 14'N, 2° 38'EAt 0502 hours, a submarine was sighted on a parallel course and Alabastro and Argo dived to avoid it. There is little doubt that Alabastro had been sunk the previous day. No other submarine appears to have operated in this area.
  24 Sep 1942220137° 14'N, 2° 15'EAt 2201 hours, a Sunderland was sighted and Argo dived four minutes later.

Gigli, Pasquale4 Oct 19420803Cagliari4 Oct 19421203Cagliari21,5Trials.

Gigli, Pasquale21 Oct 19420801Cagliari21 Oct 19421310Cagliari28Exercises.

12Gigli, Pasquale29 Oct 19420225Cagliari31 Oct 19420515Cagliari226Patrolled off La Galite in 37°55'N, 08°35'E, on a patrol line with Asteria, Porfido and Nichelio, then recalled. Uneventful.
  29 Oct 1942092338° 13'N, 8° 47'EAt 0923 hours, three Italian aircraft were sighted and exchanged recognition signals.

13Gigli, Pasquale7 Nov 19420440Cagliari13 Nov 19421715Cagliari812Sailed for a patrol between 37°50'N and 38°00'N, and between 06°40'E and 07°10'E on an E/W axis. At 0800 hours on the 8th, she was ordered to move 60 miles to west. However, at 2100 hours the same evening, she was ordered to the Gulf of Philippeville, between 37°20'N and the Algerian coast, and between 06°10'E and 07°10'E. During the evening, she was ordered to the Bay of Bougie.
  8 Nov 19420340-044537° 56'N, 7° 00'EBetween 0340 and 0445 hours, about fifty flashes were sighted to the south (probably from Bone) on the horizon. The submarine dived at 0445 and continued her observations from periscope depth.
  8 Nov 1942080537° 53'N, 6° 35'EAt 0805 hours, a submarine was seen and was assumed to be Italian. Argo refrained from attack.
  8 Nov 1942090837° 54'N, 6° 28'EAn unidentified aircraft was seen and the submarine dived.
  8 Nov 1942092937° 54'N, 6° 28'EAn unidentified aircraft was seen. It was probably Italian.
  8 Nov 1942095937° 56'N, 6° 30'EAn unidentified aircraft was seen and the submarine dived.
  8 Nov 1942193538° 01'N, 6° 14'EAt 1935 hours, an unidentified aircraft with a red light was observed. At 2125 hours, the submarine was ordered to the Gulf of Philippeville, which it it reached at 2130 hours on the following evening, but nothing was sighted.
  10 Nov 1942025037° 05'N, 6° 42'EAt 0250 hours on 10th November, an unknown submarine was seen, but it was probably Italian and no action was taken.
  10 Nov 1942045037° 05'N, 6° 39'EAt 0450 hours on 10th November, an unknown submarine was seen but it was probably Italian and no action was taken.
  11 Nov 1942081437° 10'N, 6° 44'EAt 0814 hour on 11th November 1942, the submarine was at periscope depth when an aircraft was sighted but no action was taken.
  12 Nov 19420405
(0) Bay of Bougie.
At 0405 hours on 12th November, a steamer on fire and screened by three corvettes was observed moving slowly at 2,000 metres. Argo was in very shallow waters (ca. 20-25 meters) and her echo-sounding gear had just broke down. At 0424 hours, she had closed the steamer and prepared to attack with her bow torpedoes, when a second overlapping steamer appeared at a distance of 3-4,000 meters, the submarine then maneuvered to get into a good attacking position.
  12 Nov 19420601
0505 (e)
36° 42'N, 5° 10'EAt 0601 hours on 12th November, Argo observed two overlapping ships at a distance of 1,000-2,000 metres in the Bay of Bougie.

Four bow torpedoes (533mm, G7e) were fired and three hits were claimed.

The targets were the auxiliary antiaircraft ship HMS Tynwald (2,376 tons, built 1941) standing by the monitor HMS Roberts who was damaged by two bombs the previous day. In fact, two torpedoes had struck HMS Tynwald and she quickly sank in 7 fathoms of water. Three officers and twenty-one ratings were killed, three ratings wounded. Survivors were picked up by HMS Roberts and HMS Samphire (twenty officers and 175 ratings were repatriated on Strathnaver and Ocean Volga).

The attack had been a very daring one, as there were some fourteen escort vessels in the anchorage. Karanja was sunk by air attack at about the same time.

Shortly after, Argo turned and fired her two stern torpedoes (533mm, G7e) at the same targets from a distance of 2,000 metres. One hit was claimed but they had both missed. The target was probably the monitor HMS Roberts next to the sinking HMS Tynwald. The submarine managed to reach deep waters without interference. At 2325 hours, she received the order to return to base. Some sources have attributed the sinking of the troopship Awatea to her, but she was damaged by three bomb hits at 1700X hours on the 11th in position 310; - Cape Carbon - 2 miles and had been abandoned.

At 1300 hours on the 12th, five Italian torpedo bombers attacked the anchorage and one hit the Tynwald, but she had already been abandoned. A surfaced submarine was sighted. HMS Spey and four escorts (including ORP Blyscawica, HMS Rother, probably HMS Bramham? and ?) went on an A/S hunt but, on the way, were attacked by aircraft and all were damaged by near misses and suffered some casualties.

14Gigli, Pasquale16 Nov 19421840Cagliari24 Nov 19421209 Cagliari718Patrolled between 37°00'N and 37°20'N, and between 07°00'E and 07°20'E, on a barrage line with Avorio. During the night of 19/20th November, she was ordered to reconnoitre Philippeville (Skikda).
  22 Nov 19420240
(0) Off Philippeville.
At 0240 hours on 22nd November, Argo encountered the submarine Avorio and exchanged recognition signals.

Gigli, Pasquale5 Dec 19420749Cagliari5 Dec 19421226 Cagliari16,5Trials.

Gigli, Pasquale11 Dec 19421336Cagliari11 Dec 19421751 Cagliari20Exercises.

15Gigli, Pasquale28 Dec 19421704Cagliari8 Jan 19430930Cagliari812Patrolled between 37°20'N and the Algerian coast, and between 04°00'E and 05°00'E, on a barrage line with Giada and Dandolo. On 1st January, her area was switched to between 37°30'N and the Algerian coast, and between 06°00'E and 07°00'E.
  30 Dec 1942212337° 13'N, 4° 29'EAt 2123 hours on 30th December, a torpedo boat was observed at a distance of 1,500 metres and appeared to be proceeding at 14 knots to ram the submarine. Argo dived but was not attacked.
  1 Jan 1943043437° 16'N, 4° 33'EAt 0434 hours on 1st January 1943, two steamers, escorted by three corvettes, were observed at a distance of 5-6,000 metres. The submarine closed to attack, but a corvette turned toward her and she was forced to dive at 0440 hours.
  2 Jan 1943000737° 24'N, 5° 22'EAt 0007 hours, a warship, which could not be properly identified, was seen at a distance of 1,500 metres. It could have been a submarine, a submarine chaser similar to the Italian Albatros or even an MTB. The submarine readied her bow tubes but the target turned away.
  7 Jan 1943005937° 03'N, 5° 12'EAt 0059 hours on 7th January 1943, two cruisers, one of them of the SOUTHAMPTON class, and four destroyers were seen at a distance of 2,000 metres on a 270° course. The submarine fired a salvo of four torpedoes (533mm) from her bow tubes and claimed one hit, but this was not confirmed. Four depth charges were dropped but Argo escaped by going down to a depth of 100 metres.
  7 Jan 1943184237° 49'N, 7° 04'ETwo unidentified aircraft were seen.
  7 Jan 1943190037° 50'N, 7° 05'EA German aircraft was sighted and it made three recognition signals.

Gigli, Pasquale10 Jan 19430620Cagliari11 Jan 19430942Naples272Passage Cagliari-Naples.

Gigli, Pasquale3 Feb 19431357Naples3 Feb 19431740Naples13Trials.

Gigli, Pasquale7 Feb 19431341Naples7 Feb 19431933Naples16Hydrophone trials.

Gigli, Pasquale10 Feb 19430917Naples10 Feb 19431532Naples18Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale11 Feb 19430738Naples11 Feb 19431849Naples38,2Gyrocompass tests.

Gigli, Pasquale12 Feb 19431309Naples12 Feb 19431731Naples14Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale13 Feb 19430934Naples13 Feb 19431638Naples17,5Exercises.

16Gigli, Pasquale16 Feb 19431700Naples23 Feb 19430907Cagliari901Patrolled off Algerian coast between 37°20'N and the Algerian coast, and between 05°20'E and 05°40'E. On 20th February, she was ordered back.
  17 Feb 1943100039° 56'N, 11° 25'EAn unidentified aircraft was seen and the submarine dived.
  17 Feb 1943155639° 32'N, 10° 58'EAn unidentified aircraft was seen and the submarine dived.

Gigli, Pasquale26 Feb 19431355Cagliari26 Feb 19431650Cagliari12,5Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale28 Feb 19432050Cagliari1 Mar 19430920Cagliari15Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale1 Mar 19431115Cagliari2 Mar 19431100La Maddalena226,5Passage Cagliari-La Maddalena via (1) Point B Cagliari (2) 39°20'N, 10°20'E (3) 41°00'N, 10°20'E (4) Point A; 40°55'N, 09°30'E. She was preceding Argento.

Gigli, Pasquale11 Mar 19431331La Maddalena11 Mar 19431831La Maddalena26Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale20 Mar 19431334La Maddalena20 Mar 19431910La Maddalena26Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale26 Mar 19431015La Maddalena26 Mar 19431828La Maddalena26,5Exercises.

Gigli, Pasquale30 Mar 19431008La Maddalena30 Mar 19431731La Maddalena9Exercises.

17Gigli, Pasquale3 Apr 19431540La Maddalena16 Apr 19431159Cagliari?Patrolled between 37°08'N and 38°00'N, and between 07°00'E and 07°40'E and off Cape de Fer, on a barrage line with Acciaio, Velella and Axum. On 14th April, she was ordered to the area between 38°00' N and 38°40' N, and between 06°20' E and 07°00' E, to replace Axum who had been forced to turn back. Uneventful.

Gigli, Pasquale19 Apr 19430100Cagliari20 Apr 19430858Naples?Passage Cagliari-Naples.

Gigli, Pasquale6 May 19430828Napoli6 May 19431025Pozzuoli18Trilas and passage Napoli-Pozzuoli.

Gigli, Pasquale11 May 19430904Pozzuoli11 May 19431200Pozzuoli13,5Exercises.

Giliberti, Arcangelo15 May 19430815Pozzuoli15 May 19431145Pozzuoli9,2Exercises.

Giliberti, Arcangelo19 May 19430220Pozzuoli20 May 19430749La Maddalena254Passage Pozzuoli-La Maddalena.

Giliberti, Arcangelo1 Jun 19430450La Maddalena1 Jun 19431155Ajaccio75Passage La Maddalena-Ajaccio.

Giliberti, Arcangelo4 Jun 19430835Ajaccio4 Jun 19431229Ajaccio18,3Exercises.

Giliberti, Arcangelo8 Jun 19430815Ajaccio8 Jun 19431230Ajaccio12,5Exercises.

18Giliberti, Arcangelo12 Jun 19432105Ajaccio21 Jun 19430855Ajaccio870,1Patrolled between 38°20'N and 39°00'N, and between 05°00'E and 05°40'E. On 15th June, she was ordered to move 40 miles to the south. On 17th June, she was ordered 37°20'N and the Algerian coast, between 05°07'E and 05°40'E.
  19 Jun 1943022037° 16'N, 5° 19'EA Sunderland aircraft circled the submarine. The gun crew were readied to open fire on the aircraft, but an opportunity arose and Argo dived without being attacked.
  19 Jun 1943090236° 54'N, 5° 25'E
(0) 246° - Cape Carbon - 16 miles.
At 0656 hours on 19th June, H.E. were heard and the submarine came to periscope depth and sighted a patrol vessel. T.V. Giliberti assumed that the vessel was perhaps patrolling ahead of a convoy in the Gulf of Bougie and submerged to a depth of 50 metres for a listening watch. At 0812 hours, noises were heard. It was a convoy steering 105°, entering the anchorage. At 0902 hours, four torpedoes from the bow tubes were fired a 7,000-ton freighter from a distance of 3,000 metres. Three hits were heard and the submarine dived to a depth of 110 metres, but there was no immediate reaction from the enemy. In fact, no hits were confirmed.
  21 Jun 19430150
(0) Off Cape Scorno.
At 0150 hours, the submarine Velella was encountered and recognition signals were exchanged.

Giliberti, Arcangelo22 Jun 19430930Ajaccio22 Jun 19431620La Maddalena67,6Passage Ajaccio-La Maddalena.

Giliberti, Arcangelo25 Jun 19432200La Maddalena26 Jun 19432324Pozzuoli226,1Passage La Maddalena-Pozzuoli via (1) Point A Olbia (2) 40°48'N, 10°26'E (3) Point C Naples.

Giliberti, Arcangelo28 Jun 19430610Pozzuoli28 Jun 19430829Naples11,5Passage Pozzuoli-Naples.

19Giliberti, Arcangelo10 Jul 19430300Castellammare di Stabia14 Jul 19430835Taranto?Patrolled off Sicilian coast for Operation ZETA in zone 172 [between 38°25'N and 38°35'N, and between 12°40'E and 13°00'E], ordered to area 83 (near 37°02'N, 15°28'E). Early return due to engine defects.
  11 Jul 1943100037° 19'N, 15° 32'EMany aircraft were seen and the submarine dived.
  11 Jul 1943113137° 03'N, 15° 32'EThe submarine sighted the crew of a German torpedo bomber in a life boat and proceeded to pick up the four men. While the rescue was in progress, vessels were sighted on the horizon. As soon as the operation was completed, the submarine submerged to close the enemy, but they were too far to intercept.
  11 Jul 1943140237° 02'N, 15° 28'EAt 1215 hours, Argo dived at a depth of 30 metres and closed Syracuse. She listened with her hydrophones and came back to periscope depth from time to time to take a peek. At 1257 hours, a convoy was discerned over the horizon. At 1330 hours, a cruiser of the SOUTHAMPTON class and other warships could be observed. This was later identified as one of two cruisers, screened by four destroyers. At 1402 hours, four torpedoes were fired from a distance of 4,000 metres. One explosion was heard, as the submarine went down to 110 metres. The target may have been the cruiser HMS Uganda, in company with the antiaircraft cruiser HMS Carlisle, but the attack does not appear to have been observed. An A/S hunt started at 1752 hours which lasted until 0055 hours on 12th July. At 0200 hours, the submarine surfaced and retired to the northeast.
  12 Jul 1943033037° 19'N, 15° 51'EAt 0330 hours, Argo sighted an unknown submarine which may have been Bronzo,on her way to Syracuse.
  12 Jul 1943044537° 26'N, 15° 57'EAn unidentified aircraft was seen and Argo dived. The submarine then reported to have been hunted from 0455 to 1808 hours.
  13 Jul 1943041637° 56'N, 16° 42'EAt 0416 hours, flashes or flares were sighted to the rear and then several aircraft came into view. The submarine dived at 0436 hours and was hunted from 0449 to 1005 hours.

20Giliberti, Arcangelo22 Jul 19431955Taranto27 Jul 19431037Taranto?Sailed for patrol off the east coast of Sicily (Operation ZETA) but aborted due to defects (damaged gyroscopic and magnetic compasses) before reaching her destination. This was known through ULTRA and she returned to Taranto and eventually went to Monfalcone for a long refit.
  26 Jul 1943102438° 11'N, 17° 37'ETwo unidentified aircraft were seen and the submarine dived.

Giliberti, Arcangelo30 Jul 19431957Taranto3 Aug 19430716Venice561Passage Taranto-Venice.

Giliberti, Arcangelo5 Aug 19430831Venice5 Aug 19431535Monfalcone55Passage Venice-Monfalcone.

Giliberti, Arcangelo11 Sep 1943Monfalcone11 Sep 1943ScuttledScuttled after armistice.
  11 Sep 1943
(0) At Monfalcone.
The submarine was at Monfalcone at armistice time and was scuttled.

158 entries. 101 total patrol entries (20 marked as war patrols) and 74 events.

All Italian submarines