Ships hit by U-boats

E.G. Seubert

American Steam tanker

E.G. Seubert on 23 July 1942. US Naval Historical Center Photograph #NH105289

NameE.G. Seubert
Type:Steam tanker
Tonnage9,181 tons
Completed1918 - New York Shipbuilding Corp, Camden NJ 
OwnerStandard Oil Co of New Jersey, New York 
Date of attack22 Feb 1944Nationality:      American
FateSunk by U-510 (Alfred Eick)
Position13° 50'N, 48° 49'E - Grid MP 5511
Complement70 (6 dead and 64 survivors).
RouteAbadan, Iran (13 Feb) - Aden - Suez - North Africa 
Cargo79.000 barrels of Admiralty fuel 
History Laid down as E.L. Doheny III for Pan American Petroleum & Transport Co Inc, Los Angeles CA. Acquired upon completion in November 1918 by the US Navy as cargo transport USS Edward L. Doheny III (ID # 3835) for the Naval Overseas Transportation Service. Returned to owner by the US Shipping Board in November 1919. 1925 renamed F.H. Wickett and 1931 renamed E.G. Seubert for the same owner. 1935 transferred to Standard Oil Co of New Jersey, New York. 
Notes on event

On 22 Feb 1944, U-510 made two attacks at convoy PA-69 about 200 miles from Aden and reported two tankers and one freighter sunk, one freighter was left burning and sinking and one other freighter was damaged by one torpedo. Three tankers were hit, the San Alvaro, E.G. Seubert and Erling Brøvig. The last stayed afloat with a broken back and both parts were towed to port. It is not clear whether one ship was hit by two torpedoes.

The E.G. Seubert (Master Ivar Boklund) in station #21 was hit by one torpedo on the port side in the #10 tank and the cross bunkers. The explosion blew one of the after machine guns over the side and started a small fire. The steam smothering line quickly put out the flames. The engines were stopped, as the tanker settled rapidly with a list to port. Only one lifeboat could be launched before the ship suddenly capsized to port and sank by the stern, twelve minutes after the hit. The most of her crew of eight officers, 35 men and 27 armed guards (the ship was armed with one 4in, one 3in and eight 20mm guns) abandoned ship by jumping overboard and had to swim through fuel oil several inches thick. One officer, two men and three armed guards, including the commanding officer died. The survivors were picked up by HMAS Tamworth (J 181) and HMIS Orissa (J 200) and taken to Aden, arriving on 24 February.

On boardWe have details of 8 people who were on board

If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.

Return to Allied Ships hit by U-boats