Ships hit by U-boats

John A. Treutlen

American Steam merchant

NameJohn A. Treutlen
Type:Steam merchant (Liberty)
Tonnage7,198 tons
Completed1944 - Southeastern Shipbuilding Co, Savannah GA 
OwnerSouth Atlantic Steamship Co, Savannah GA 
Date of attack29 Jun 1944Nationality:      American
FateA total loss by U-984 (Heinz Sieder)
Position50° 07'N, 0° 47'W - Grid BF 3532
Complement74 (1 dead and 73 survivors).
RouteFalmouth (28 Jun) - Normandy 
Cargo6800 tons of engineering equipment and a deck cargo of machinery 
History Completed April 1944 
Notes on event

At 15.28 hours on 29 June 1944, U-984 fired a spread of two LUT torpedoes at convoy ECM-17 about 30 miles south of St. Catherine’s point on the Isle of Wight. The first struck the Edward M. House and the second the H.G. Blasdel. Six minutes later, the U-boat fired a single torpedo at one of the damaged ships and missed but struck the John A. Treutlen. At 15.43 hours, a Gnat was fired which struck the James A. Farrell.

The John A. Treutlen (Master Gustav Anderson) was struck by one torpedo on the port side between the #5 hold and the after peak tank and blew a large hole in the side. The explosion lifted the stern out of the water and flames and water shot into the air. It forced its way forward and set off the after magazine. This second explosion blew another huge hole in the port side. The blast broke the shaft, destroyed the steering gear and cracked the vessel athwartships, leaving the stern hanging several feet lower. The most of the eight officers, 35 crewmen and 31 armed guards (the ship was armed with one 5in, one 3in and eight 20mm guns) abandoned ship in three lifeboats, leaving only a skeleton crew of twelve men and the master on board. The survivors, twelve of them injured (eleven armed guards and one crewman) were picked up by HMCS Buctouche (K 179)(T/SkrLt H.E. Young, RCNR) and USS LST-336 and taken to Southampton on 30 June, where one of the armed guards later died of wounds. The next morning, the tug WSA-2 arrived and towed the vessel to Southampton, where she was beached. The cargo was salved and the vessel declared a total loss.

The John A. Treutlen was on her maiden voyage and had loaded cargo at Savannah and Jacksonville, Florida. She proceeded to New York and left on 5 May, en route to the Clyde in convoy HX-290 arriving in Scotland on 19 May.

On boardWe have details of 13 people who were on board

If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.

Return to Allied Ships hit by U-boats