Ships hit by U-boats


Brazilian Steam merchant

We don't have a picture of this vessel at this time.

Type:Steam merchant (Hog Island)
Tonnage4,942 tons
Completed1919 - American International Shipbuilding Corp, Hog Island PA 
OwnerCia de Navegação Lloyd Brasileiro, Rio de Janeiro 
HomeportRio de Janeiro 
Date of attack26 Jul 1942Nationality:      Brazilian
FateSunk by U-66 (Friedrich Markworth)
Position11° 34'N, 60° 30'W - Grid ED 9694
Complement52 (4 dead and 48 survivors).
RouteRecife, Pernambuco (16 Jul) - Port of Spain, Trinidad - La Guaira, Venezuela - New Orleans 
Cargo6600 tons of general cargo, including coffee, bales of fabric, medicines, leather, monazite sand, beryl and manganese ore 
History Laid down as Sheshequin, completed in August 1919 as City of Fairbury for US Shipping Board (USSB), Philadelphia. 1938 renamed Mormacport for Moore-McCormack Lines Inc, New York. 1940 sold to Brazil and renamed Tamandaré
Notes on event

At 08.15 hours on 26 July 1942 U-66 fired a spread of two G7e torpedoes from the stern tubes at the unescorted and neutral Tamandaré (Master José Martins de Oliveira) in hazy weather during a full moon night about 14 miles north of Tobago and hit with both after a running time of 71 seconds. The U-boat had spotted the ship at 06.58 hours, which was armed with a 120mm gun aft and proceeded on a zigzag course at 12 knots without visible nationality markings. The first torpedo struck on port side amidships in the engine room and the other further aft causing a high column of smoke. The explosions killed four crew members on watch below, destroyed both port lifeboats and tore a large hole in the side, causing the ship to quickly settle aft with a heavy list to port until Tamandaré eventually capsized and sank by the stern about 50 minutes after being hit. No distress signals could be sent because the aerial was broken and the generators were out of order. The master, 43 crew members and four gunners had abandoned ship in both starboard lifeboats within 10 minutes and then observed how the U-boat used a searchlight and remained close to the ship for over 30 minutes, but did not move to the starboard side where the lifeboats were. Allied authorities later feared that the Germans had boarded the vessel and captured the routing instructions left behind in a cabin drawer, but in fact they had just tried to identify the ship and waited nearby for her to sink. Four hours after the attack the survivors used a flare to attracted the attention of a patrol aircraft, which was later relieved by two seaplanes until they were picked up by USS PC-492 at 18.10 hours and landed at Port of Spain the next morning.

On boardWe have details of 1 people who were on board

If you can help us with any additional information on this vessel then please contact us.

Return to Allied Ships hit by U-boats