General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
The "Ghost" of U-534 lingers on!
Posted by: Terry Andrews ()
Date: December 04, 2001 09:42PM

<HTML>Here we go again people!
This question has been asked on here before I know but since I am trying to write the truth behind the mystery of U-534 here are a few questions again.

When did Herbert Nollau commit suicide? So far I have wildly varying dates!
The official guide book from the Warships Trust say's "Captain Herbert Nollau committed suicide a few years after his boat was sunk" Hmmm!

My next source says he died in 1968 by his own hand?

And the U-boat Net? well he is not even mentioned as being dead!

someone must be able to produce a death certificate or did he really die?

So where does this leave us in regards to Herbert Nollau's death comments please?

U-534 was on the surface when caught in the Kattegat and attacked and sunk, but their was also two other boats with her and although these two put up an initial fight they dived and were not seen again? the question is who were these two other boats and what happened to them and where were they going?

A substantial amount of documents were recovered from U-534 and handed over to the German Government, but enquires into what was handed over have been met with silence? WHY!

U-534 is indeed of historical value, so one would think that its contents would be properly documented yet no records exist of the finds from within other than those which are on display at Birkenhead, again the question has to be asked WHY!

And why (even putting aside the money issue for the present) is U-534 being left to rust away, again something of such an historical value! and yes I know that its had a waxoyl treatment but that is only to the outer hull. The upper deck is still covered in thick layers of loose flaking cruddy rust particles it would be pointless waxoyl these. These could be easily removed as is the interior rust particles.

Since Mr Karsten Ree owns U-534 and of course is a millionaire to boot, you would think that he would wish to preserve his investment? but apparently not, as the Warship trust seem to have their hands tide as to what they can and cannot do? Once again strange and weird goings on about U-534.

I get the impression after doing my research that their are people who would have preferred to have left here on the seabed and indeed she would have been if it was not for the greedy people who thought they would get there hands on the gold which U-534 was reputed to be carrying.

No I would suggest to Karsten Ree that a trust be set up to preserve U-534 and work should start on her to ensure her continued preservation. Their is enough volunteers from this Forum I am sure who would come forward to help!
without putting down the Warship Preservation Trust who I am sure funds and conditions allowed would indeed like to do more for U-534, I feel that a separate trust would be more beneficial for her continued preservation.

U-534 is an incomparable time capsule, and it is right that she should be more properly preserved than at present. Comments please! on all questions welcome.
Open up a can of worms...Whoopee!
regards
Terry Andrews.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! Terry Andrews 12/04/2001 09:42PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! Vin 12/05/2001 12:23AM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! John Griffiths 12/05/2001 07:37PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! Terry Andrews 12/05/2001 09:00PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! Gudmundur Helgason 12/06/2001 10:37AM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! oliver 12/06/2001 11:29AM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! Frank 12/06/2001 03:48PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! chris lee 12/06/2001 09:21PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! John Griffiths 12/06/2001 09:47PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers om Terry Andrews 12/07/2001 09:08PM
Re: The &quot;Ghost&quot; of U-534 lingers on! Harry 12/07/2001 12:02AM
U977 &amp; Argentina Jack 12/07/2001 11:58AM
Re: U977 &amp; Argentina Frank 12/07/2001 07:57PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.