General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Condition of U-505
Posted by: Tim ()
Date: December 30, 2001 07:23PM

<HTML>I took my daughter to see the U-505 at the Museum of Science & Industry on this chilly Chicago morn and must sadly say that the U-Boat is not in very good shape.
I could only view the exterior thru a frosted up porthole in the entrance leading into the U-505 but the interior is succumbing to the drastic change in Chicago's weather and constant parade of people. Just about every inch of paint is cracked and flaking off and shows rust behind it. The Electric Motor room, Diesel Engine room and Control room show the worst wear. The Aft & Forward Torpedo rooms are roped off from walking in to so I am unable to see if the same condition applies to those rooms. The Captains quarters and Officers quarters looked ok but don't know how the rest of the metal parts of the boat are behind the wood interiors in that area?
Not to say the Museum is not trying. They have a display at the entrance to the exhibit asking for pledges to help fix the boat up. They only heat the boat in the forward area. It was a very cold walk through. I noticed measuring instruments were placed in certain areas of the boat I assume to measure temperature and humidity. If anyone has lived in Chicago you would know it can get as hot as the desert here (with HIGH humidity to boot) and as cold as Alaska. The museum also has a display of the garbage that has been left by tourist that once starts decaying, adds to the rusting inside the boat (Flash Cubes!!!...how long has that been in there?).
I'm not sure what can be done or how I can help but I sure would hate to see one of the last surviving U-boats slowly decay into oblivion. Maybe gets a discussion going on ideas. Be it friend or foe, the U-505 is a Memorial to all the men who have lost their lives at sea for their country. I think it needs to be preserved for future generations.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Condition of U-505 Tim 12/30/2001 07:23PM
Re: Condition of U-505 WOODY 12/31/2001 01:12AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Tim 01/02/2002 01:19AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Torlef 01/02/2002 01:35AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Tim 01/02/2002 02:20AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Tim 01/03/2002 12:58AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Ken Dunn 01/03/2002 01:59AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Torlef 01/03/2002 09:20AM
Re: Condition of U-505 Ken Dunn 01/03/2002 02:01PM
Re: Condition of U-505 - Good News Ken Dunn 01/04/2002 07:04PM
Re: Condition of U-505 - Good News Torlef 01/05/2002 12:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.