General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
Re: unknown U boat??
Posted by: Joseph Curry ()
Date: January 29, 2002 01:31PM

<HTML>Brian: Fascinating in the many similarities. "La Pallice" ?? I am not acquainte with that ?? "La Paz". would put it right on the nose effectively. "Periscope not clear", could fit nicely. Question remains why ?? No recorded military action involved.

A wild theory or scenario could be--- If you were on a secret mission, one in which which you were dedicated to accomplish, and you were a thoughtful commander regarding your men as it appears,
You would go as close to the shore as possible using hand soundings. This would be especially important since it was a very stormy night. After reaching min manuvering depth, you would then put your men over the side, back out to concealable depth to wait the return of the mission people. Supposing , just supposing-- you are backing out from minimum depth, so you probable would be using tower observation and control. This area is a long fairly shallow sandy zone extending out W to the actual gulf depths. Now this wide shallow zone would cause any wave action to pile up creating an unusual height at times. Now you have reached a depth which will allow you to turn, as you are broadside to the incoming waves, an unualy large one strikes you while you are most vurnerable and rolls the sub over to the degree that the bridge, open hatch etc. is under water - water pours into the control room, perhaps enough to go negative in the process it drowns the personel in the control room, and cleans the bridge crew off also. I imagine that any personel in the ajoining rooms would automaticaly dog the connecting hatches, thus effectively isolating the subs' interior leaving it dry and intact. So,,now we have a flooded control room, sub gone negative, no way to change ballast or to open the hatch against the pressure ??? and as far as the surviving crew knows they are 1000 ft down. So no effective atempt to escape is tried. Time would take of the rest.

I realize that the subs reaction to large waves in the open sea and when it is in contact with a a sandy bottom would be radically different, As the wave approached it would tend to evacuate the water around the sub, thus putting it into contact with the sandy bottom causing it to heel over much more readily, and possibly remaining so after.

Interesting side feature if true is that the interior would still be dry, all records etc would still be in recoverable condition.

Incidentaly Brian, I presume that it is no coincidence that the sub commanders name and yours are the same??

OK Gentlemen, feed back. I know there are many faults in my resoning so get to it. We have to understand what happened and why. One thing to begin with, "periscope not clear" how could that message be sent under my theory?</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
unknown U boat?? joseph cury 01/23/2002 01:11AM
Re: unknown U boat?? Jeff McBride 01/23/2002 02:10AM
Re: unknown U boat?? Joseph Curry 01/24/2002 01:56PM
Re: unknown U boat?? Michael Lowrey 01/24/2002 09:59PM
Re: unknown U boat?? Garth 01/27/2002 02:02PM
Re: unknown U boat?? Joseph Curry 01/28/2002 05:42PM
Re: unknown U boat?? Brian Thurmann 01/29/2002 11:43AM
Re: unknown U boat?? Joseph Curry 01/29/2002 01:31PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.