General Discussions  
This is the place to discuss general issues related to the U-boat war or the war at sea in WWII. 
CAPE WRATH
Posted by: Cape Crusader ()
Date: March 08, 2008 11:29AM

Hi everyone,

I have a passionate interest in Cape Wrath, at the very north-westernmost tip of the British mainland, and indeed I spend all summer there.

I have recently completed a social and historical survey of the Cape Wrath peninsula, upon which there was a wartime observation and radio reporting station (using the former Lloyds marine insurers radio station premises operative from 1905 to 1932 approximately), which was downgraded to Coast Watching status from circa 1943 on the establishment of the Durness Radar and radio facility.

There were always stories locally of spies, landed by either U-boat or parachute, operating on Cape Wrath, although none was ever apprehended. The discovery of several radio transmitters and other communications equipment of German origin on Cape Wrath supported the theory that spies were landed and that they did observe the movements of British shipping. The equipment was handed over to the local military authorities, always present in significant numbers.

There were also reports of local shepherds occasionally observing lone strangers who, when seen, swiftly hid themselves; articles of clothing and food remnants were also discovered.

My question is this: where might it be possible to uncover formal records of any U-boat voyage intended to deliver a spy or spies to the vicinity of Cape Wrath? And how might these personnel be successfully recovered afterwards?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
CAPE WRATH Cape Crusader 03/08/2008 11:29AM
Re: CAPE WRATH Ken Dunn 03/08/2008 02:08PM
Re: CAPE WRATH Cape Crusader 03/08/2008 02:45PM
Re: CAPE WRATH Ken Dunn 03/08/2008 09:45PM
Re: CAPE WRATH Cape Crusader 03/09/2008 10:48AM
Re: CAPE WRATH Bruce Dennis 03/08/2008 02:53PM
Re: CAPE WRATH Cape Crusader 03/09/2008 10:24AM
Re: CAPE WRATH Bruce Dennis 03/09/2008 12:14PM
Re: CAPE WRATH Cape Crusader 03/09/2008 02:53PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.