Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Fist attack in Das Boot
Posted by: MCE ()
Date: February 05, 2002 08:53PM

<HTML>Atually, what happens is that he wants to shoot at a destroyer, but then looses sight of it. By the time he finds it (or another one) again, his boat has been spotted, the destroyer is heading straight for it, and is already very nearby. In other words: an emergency dive is in order. No time for shooting whatsoever.

I'm not sure whether or not we get to see the destroyer during the initial setup of the attack (it's been a while since I last saw the movie), but in any case we surely don't get to see it bow on at that point. So either we know that the attack wasn't meant to be such, or we know that we basically don't know at all.

I've always found this bit somwhat unrealistic and have stated so in one of the forums sometime in 2002 or 2001. But then people pointed out that:

1) the destroyer that suddenly pops up so close by does not need to be the same as the one that was meant to be attacked;

2) even if it is the same one, the delay between the moment when the captain looses track of it and when he spots it again can be considered larger than the film suggests at first sight. IIRC, contact is lost because the boat is not kept at optimal depth. This takes some time to "repair" and hence the destroyer has sufficient time to turn around. This does fit with my recollection that the captain initially is looking at it straight ahead, but later discovers it to be homing in on him from his starboard side at more or less a 90 degree angle.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Fist attack in Das Boot Kris 02/05/2002 02:14PM
Re: Fist attack in Das Boot MCE 02/05/2002 08:53PM
Re: Fist attack in Das Boot Kris 02/05/2002 09:59PM
Re: Fist attack in Das Boot james Stewart 02/06/2002 03:54PM
Re: Fist attack in Das Boot walter M 02/06/2002 05:35PM
Re: Fist attack in Das Boot james Stewart 02/09/2002 01:36PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot walter M 02/09/2002 09:40PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot MCE 02/09/2002 11:00PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot james S 02/10/2002 11:12PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot Roger 02/22/2002 04:45PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot Roger 02/22/2002 04:56PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot Kevin Cameron 05/07/2002 03:40PM
Re: Attacks agaist Das Boot craig 04/11/2002 07:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.