Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Smoking and Submarines
Posted by: Chris M. ()
Date: November 10, 2002 12:34AM

<HTML>Because Hollywood shows it, I have to ask (and hopefully someone who has actually served aboard a submarine can answer): is or was smoking cigarettes while submerged ever sanctioned aboard modern submarines? My instinct is no, but I am hoping for a more authoritative answer. I already know that on board diesel electric subs smoking was relegated to the "Wintergarden" on U-boats and the "Cigarette Deck" on U.S. fleet subs because of (a) hydrogen buildup when charging batteries and (b) limited air supply belowdecks. How about the modern nuclear powered subs?

The reason I ask, of course, is that Hollywood says "yes" to that particular question. But who here really trusts Hollywood, right?

Take for instance "The Hunt For Red October." In a tense scene Captain Tupolev takes a long drag, puffs out the smoke and says "Go to 105 percent on the reactor," then drops the butt to the deck plating and crushes it with his boot. Very dramatic!

And again in "Crimson Tide." Captain Gene Hackman walks around in a haze of smoke produced by his cigars that are "more expensive than drugs." And of course Weps is smoking his Marlboro Reds when Captain Hackman tells him to "open the f***ing safe!"

So, being the silly question of the day, I would like a serious answer. Someone who knows the naval regulations, please settle this one for me. Thanks.

Chris M.
Miami, Florida USA</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Smoking and Submarines Chris M. 11/10/2002 12:34AM
Re: Smoking and Submarines ROBERT M. 11/10/2002 04:23AM
Re: Smoking and Submarines Chris M. 11/10/2002 07:34PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines Patrick Meagher 11/10/2002 09:30PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines ROBERT M. 11/10/2002 09:57PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines Gregg G 11/22/2002 09:37PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines J.T. McDaniel 11/22/2002 10:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.