Movies and Films  
This is the forum for Movie and Film discussions. Again, our topic is naval warfare in WWII for the most part. 
Re: Smoking and Submarines
Posted by: Patrick Meagher ()
Date: November 10, 2002 09:30PM

<HTML>When smoking cigarettes was a common and encouraged behavior in the U. S. Navy there were only a few evolutions aboard submarines where the "smoking lamp" was extinguished. One of these was "battle stations." However if battle stations were manned for an extended period it was not uncommon for the skipper to "light the smoking lamp" i.e. grant permission to light up and smoke. During my time on Diesel boats and a Nuc boat in the 1960's and 1970's smoking below decks was common. ash trays were in every compartment however, smoking in your bunk and in battery wells was a no-no. On diesel boats submerged for long periods if you could get your lighter to work you could smoke. In 1972 I spent a week at sea on an Australian "O" class Diesel boat. their smoking policies were pretty much the same as ours.

I mentioned that smoking cigarettes was an encouraged behavior in the U. S. Navy at one time. If you were assigned aboard ship you could buy "sea store cigarettes." These cigarettes were "untaxed" and cost a dollar a carton. Yes, thats correct ten cents a pack! On my last boat we would order "sea store cigarettes" once a quarter. You would place your order with the COB and pay your money in advance. The order was handled by the storekeeper. Sea stores were delivered to the boat a day or two prior to sailing and then passed out after we were underway. At least that was the way it was supposed to work.

Before were got smart about smoking cigarettes it was assumed that smoking was OK. It helped to steady sailors nerves in rough situations and was part of the drinking, smoking, and carousing submarine sailor lifestyle now long gone.</HTML>

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Smoking and Submarines Chris M. 11/10/2002 12:34AM
Re: Smoking and Submarines ROBERT M. 11/10/2002 04:23AM
Re: Smoking and Submarines Chris M. 11/10/2002 07:34PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines Patrick Meagher 11/10/2002 09:30PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines ROBERT M. 11/10/2002 09:57PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines Gregg G 11/22/2002 09:37PM
Re: Smoking and Submarines J.T. McDaniel 11/22/2002 10:07PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.