The What's New Archive
- Added user submitted title Nightmare Convoy, The.
- Added user submitted title Den Feind den wir Tötetten, mei ....
- Added German translation for book Enemy We Killed, My Friend, The.
- Added user submitted title Relatos inéditos de los submari ....
17:27 - Rewrote the page Capital Warships sunk by U-boats to read all its data from the databases.
17:27 - The site is back up to speed and I've been solving some small typos and minor issues here and there (most of which have been reported by our loyal readers, thanks! :). I'll do several series of reliability checking programming in the next few weeks (removing as many manually entered facts as possible and instead pull them from the databases to ensure consistency, for example).
22:25 - Repairs finished
I believe I have finished repairing the system after the hardware failure more than a week ago. If you notice anything weird going on please let me know.
17:27 - System back up
I now have the machine operational again - in better shape than before actually but I still need to get the uboat.net development environment back up - hopefully tonight and then I can continue to develop the site as intended :)
Not sure yet whether I've lost all that mail and thousands of personal files or not (I have backups of course but not brand-new ones).
I will spend some time to rewrite much of the PHP code to make the site faster and easier to maintain, then do heavy development and new features in the Conning Tower section.
- Added errata for book Hitler's U-Boat War.
- Added user submitted title Faszination U-Boot.
- Added user submitted title cruceros Canarias y Baleares, Lo ....
Added German book Lautlose Jäger.
- Added user submitted title Combate en el mar.
- Added Spanish translation for book Tragödie am Nordkap.
- Added German translation for book Silent Hunters.
22:26 - System failure
Just when everything was about to reach normality here I suffered a catastrophic system failure in my uboat.net development machine! My super-fast and up-to-this-point reliable 9gb SCSI-2 hard drive (one of two in the machine) sustained a hardware failure and is possibly completely unreadable. That disk stored uboat.net files, my mail and the operating system itself plus my database development environment. This is pretty much worst case scenario and I'll spend the weekend getting the machine up again and assessing the damage. No uboat.net data as such is lost as I have it mirrored but lots of mail could be lost plus some new files.
Added English book In All Respects Ready.
- Added book review for In All Respects Ready
- Added user submitted title HMCS Haida: Battle Ensign Flying.
21:49 - OK, we're not dormant here at all even though it might appear so :) We're all working on our main topics to further strengthen the site. I myself am working in various programming and administrative tasks all over the site.
uboat.net is really in 3 parts now; first and foremost is the main and openly available site you all know (over 7000 pages + the forums). Second is the Conning Tower, our vast members area and last but not least is our own administration area where mostly Tonya, Rainer and me "mess with" the site and run behind-the-scenes chores. Thus we can be working very hard and nothing can be seen online but it all benefits the site one way or another :)
- Added user submitted title RAAF Flying Boats at War.
- Added user submitted title Torpedo.
- Added errata for book World War II.
- Added errata for book U-Boats Destroyed.
- Added errata for book Axis Submarine Successes of World War Two.
- Added errata for book Hitler´s U-Boat War.