Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Electroboats
Posted by: Patrick Meagher ()
Date: September 15, 2002 03:32AM

Hello Ian,

Just finished transcribing a taped oral history I did with an American Chief Electricians Mate (Submarines) who was on prize crew that brought U-2513 from Lisahally Northern Ireland to Naval Shipyard Portsmouth N. H., USA in August 1945. He told me that there were 38 Americans in the prize crew. They also brought 8 German crew members along with them on the trip to the states. I don't know if the Germans were underway watch standers or not on the trip to the states. He told me they were standing 6 x 6 underway watches with 38 man crew. 6 x 6 is tough after a few days, and tells me they were short handed.

All the type 21's and 23's had a lot of slave labor built components in them. This guy told me that the U-3008, the second type 21 the US brought back, had major structural problems including bad pressure hull welds and was laid up because of that. I had other US Sub Vets who served on these German boats in 45 and 46 when they were being tested by the USN tell me that yard inspections even found "black iron pipe" in sea water systems. By the way, type 21's didn't have air conditioning.

U-2540, scuttled near Flensberg at the end of the war in 45, was raised in 1957, rebuilt and recommissioned in the Federal German Navy as U-Wilhelm Bauer. She is now on display at the Maritime Museum in Bremerhaven. U-Wilhelm Bauer was re-engined with 2 MB 820 S1, 12 cylinder diesel engines as part of her rebuild. Other than that internally she is pretty much as initially constructed. She is the last type 21 around and I don't think the Germans are willing to part with her.

If you have a couple of bucks you can buy a type 21 knock off from the Russians. I'm serious! the Foxtrot class have a lot of Type 21 technology and engineering layout. Battery wells, electrical plant, even the main motor controllers are carbon copies from a type 21. The Russians were still building them as late as 1973 and operated them into the early 90's. There are two on the west coast. One in Long Beach, and the other in Seattle. The Seattle Foxtrot is "looked after" by the members of the Seattle Base United States Submarine Veterans Inc.

Now, if you want a real diesel boat "hotrod" USS Blueback SS-581 is on display at the Museum of Science and Industry, Portland OR. She was the number two boat of the last class of three diesel-electric boats built by the USN. I served on the lead boat USS Barbel SS-580 for 5 years. The B-Girls combined the Albacore hull shape and aircraft type system controls with a high performance diesel-electric propulsion plant (3rd generation descendent of type 21's.) 524 battery cells in two wells, 1000VDC system, 3 Fairbanks Morse 38 1/8 ND diesel generators, and 5000SHP main propulsion motor on one shaft. Advanced sensors and huge torpedo room with power torpedo loading equipment. On sea trials after overhaul in 1972 we were clicking along at 300 feet making 22 knots on the half hour rate. At dead slow, 38 RPM on the propeller shaft, we would still do 3.5 knots with a clean bottom. Battery endurance was over 100 hours at dead slow and on reduced electrical load. We could make 12 knots at standard speed on 3 engines "on the pipe" (snorkeling.) "Prairie Masker" kept us hidden when we snorkeled to charge batteries. We could put a hurt'n on surface craft, nuc boats and P-3's in "free play" ASW exercises.

On diesel boats, well over half the crew are engineers. Electricians, Enginemen, and Machinist Mates in that order. Only makes sense with a complicated diesel electric propulsion plant and a lot of hydraulic and pnuematic systems. Still need a couple of Quartermasters to navigate and pilot, couple of Seaman watchstanders to steer and dive the boat, Couple of Radiomen to monitor, send and receive telecommunications. Need a couple of Deck Watch Officers to keep a handle on everything assisted by a couple of chiefs of the Watch and diving officers to maintain submerged trim. Were not even counting couple of Torpedomen and the Fire Control Techs who also stand watch in sonar, cooks and mess attendents who keep everyone feed, and Electronic Techs who operate the electronic survelance equipment.

Remember, when your underway at sea, its a 24 x 7 operation for however many days your out. For example, my longest submarine special mission was 67 days port-to-port. My 1972 six month WesPac deployment on Barbel lasted from mid June to week before Christmas. During that 26 week deployment period we had 42 days (6 weeks) inport. My point here is you have to have enough knowledgeable experienced people availabel to operate, maintain and repair the ships systems. If you want to be able to conduct successful, extended, blue water, submarine operations you need a good size crew with plenty of knowledge and experience.

Hope this helps.

Keep a zero bubble...
Patrick Meagher, TMC(SS) USN Retired.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Electroboats Ian Edwards 09/12/2002 05:55AM
Re: Electroboats Patrick Meagher 09/15/2002 03:32AM
Re: Electroboats Ian Edwards 09/15/2002 11:51PM
Re: Electroboats Sniper 09/16/2002 05:02AM
Re: Electroboats Ian Edwards 09/16/2002 11:27PM
Re: Electroboats J.T. McDaniel 09/17/2002 12:29AM
the Pampanito kurt 09/20/2002 07:29PM
Re: the Pampanito J.T. McDaniel 09/20/2002 09:59PM
Re: Electroboats J.T. McDaniel 09/16/2002 10:21PM
Re: Electroboats Patrick Meagher 09/16/2002 11:26PM
Re: Electroboats J.T. McDaniel 09/17/2002 12:45AM
Re: Electroboats Patrick Meagher 09/17/2002 03:19AM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.