Technology and Operations  
This forum is for discussing technological & operational matters pertaining to U-boats. 
Re: Hull Thickness
Posted by: ROBERT M. ()
Date: February 27, 2003 11:21PM

Rainer:

I refer to excerpts from Lothar-Gunther Buchheim's "DAS BOOT" - page 461 to 463:

"A flash of light: the wing of a plane. Now I can see the black dots: five--six bombers. Seven. It's an armada!"

"Already a hail of bullets is tearing into the paving stones, splintering them in all
directions--pursuit planes. They're not after us. They're trying to silence the anti-aircraft posts. It's a combined attack by fighters and bombers. Here and there
the pier explodes into fountains of rubble. Fragments of stone sail through the air with a strange deliberation. Screams, little white puffs of cloud in the sky, howling sirens, the rattle and snap of machine-gun fire, and the sudden barking of the medium-sized flak, salvo after salvo crashing out in unending succession."

"I recognize a double-tailed Lighting, and high up a hornet swarm of bombers."

"Then there is an enormous boom that almost shatters my eardrums. The whole
bunker is one titanic, reverberating drum. The floor shakes under me. From the roof above the first of the flood docks--which I can just see into--huge lumps of concrete rain down, splash into the water, and pound the boat that's lying at the pier. Suddenly a brilliant light breaks through a hole in the bunker roof. Light. I prop myself up. The hole is a good ten feet by ten. Iron matting with thick lumps of
concrete caught in it, is left hanging where the rroof once was. The matting moves, showering down more slabs of concrete. The water in the dock continues to break against the piers. My God, twenty-four feet of solid concrete blasted into nothing! It's never happened before."

"The boat! What's happened to the boat? I suddenly see a slab of steel towering out of the water like a gigantic plow-share--and attached to a net guard. The bow!"

This scenario is different from the movie "DAS BOOT." The movie doesn't show Lightning fighters, 'cause they were not available, but the planes definitely strafe the U-boat that is tied to a pier, with their .50 caliber machine guns.

The 10X10 foot hole in the bunker roof may have been made by the British 22,000#
"GRAND SLAM" bombs dropped by the AVRO "LANCASTER" 4-engine heavy bomber.

Perhaps somone on this forum has that information available for us...........

Regards,

ROBERT M.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Written By Posted
Hull Thickness Wayne Hendrix 02/26/2003 12:20AM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 02/26/2003 02:37AM
Re: Hull Thickness ROBERT M. 02/26/2003 03:43AM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 02/26/2003 04:40AM
Re: Hull Thickness ROBERT M. 02/27/2003 11:21PM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 02/28/2003 01:17AM
Re: Hull Thickness ROBERT M. 03/01/2003 01:38AM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 03/01/2003 04:02AM
Re: Hull Thickness ROBERT M. 03/01/2003 05:16AM
Re: Hull Thickness Scott 02/26/2003 08:58PM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 02/27/2003 03:13AM
Re: Hull Thickness Scott 02/27/2003 07:54PM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 02/27/2003 09:40PM
Re: Hull Thickness ROBERT M. 02/27/2003 10:26PM
Re: Hull Thickness Rainer Bruns 02/28/2003 01:08AM
Re: Hull Thickness Scott 02/28/2003 07:40PM

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.